07 yz450f coughing/popping

12 replies to this topic
  • forklord

Posted March 15, 2010 - 01:26 PM

I'm having a problem.... its at the whole power band. from inital throttle to WOT and cruising at any speed it coughs, and then backfires when i let of throttle. it was there since the day i got the bike new but a little worse now except for the popping which is way worse.

07 yz450f
I'm at 2000 - 3000 ft. around 55-65 degrees here now. I first installed a twin air air filter. no change. installed 160 main (165 stock) and needle at same position from dynojet as per their instructions of having aftermarket exhaust. a little worse. i just put on my yoshimura rs-2 slip on. no change. Fuel screw just makes it pop a LOT more at about 1 turn. 2 turns out, same running condition just less popping. I'm thinking main is rich but it seems to be popping a little more than it should. it also seems like those coughs or bogs i'm experiencing is from a pop during accel. so i dunno rich or lean? main jet? needle position? I just bought a #48 pilot jet (have a 45 stock) after reading on this issue a lot but now i'm not sure that will do anything for me. it gets pretty hot here in the summer months so i'm thinking it'll be a bit rich around that time

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2010 - 01:42 PM

Your main jet is too small to start with. The pilot should be fine at 45. Be sure you have an O-ring on your pilot mixture screw, too.

Look through these:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=694917

http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• forklord

Posted March 15, 2010 - 01:48 PM

its the biggest jet in the f'ing kit. what a waste...im so pissed. what if i raise the needle? will that help a little with the main being small til i get a new main? 170 seems to be the magic number for people on the jetting spec post. and after taking it for another quick ride before i start playin with the carb, i noticed its not that bad coughing from about 2/3 to WOT. i was thinking i was too rich! eep.

another thought. what about going back to stock 165 jet with dynojet needle? or stock needle even? I dont understand why their biggest jet in the kit, rated for aftermarket exhaust below 3000ft would be smaller than the main, specially if yammies are lean from factory. I hate dynojet lol

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2010 - 01:55 PM

165/168 will probably turn out to be what you end up with. Use the OEM needle.

The needle modifies the fuel delivery from the main at ~3/4 throttle down to ~1/8. Raising it won't make up for a small main jet.

When looking at the jetting DB, focus on the '07's; they jet out a little different than '06's, and to be frank, 170 is too rich in most cases

• forklord

Posted March 15, 2010 - 02:02 PM

one more Q. whats the oem needle? NFLR?

• forklord

Posted March 15, 2010 - 02:05 PM

so sorry i was completely wrong! theres a 165 main in the dyno jet kit for higher altitudes and the stock is 160. sweet! Ima put the dyno 165 and see what happens with the dynojet needle. sound like a good plan?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2010 - 02:06 PM

one more Q. whats the oem needle? NFLR?

The answer's here:
http://www.thumperta...892#post6980892

• forklord

Posted March 15, 2010 - 02:10 PM

you da man man!

• forklord

Posted March 15, 2010 - 04:59 PM

ok so all my hopes have gone out the window. put in the 165 main and 48 pilot and lots more power it seems and less popping but still that damned coughing sputtering which seems to hit harder cuz of the power i guess. so its obviously not my main or pilot? its only when i apply throttle. leak jet? accel pump timing? i only let my bike warm up for 5 minutes though so could that be a problem? im gonna wait to hear from you guys before i touch another tool...

• tek_01

Posted March 15, 2010 - 05:25 PM

5 minutes? that should be plenty of time i think unless its really cold there
what position is the circlip of the needle in? (how many from the top)

• forklord

Posted March 15, 2010 - 05:46 PM

4th position like stock. no real bog either its just sputtering. and after a thorough warm up and adjusting the fuel screw more, it seems to occur 90% of the time at a constant steady throttle. if i start in first and slowly turn the throttle til max rpms theres a fair amount then from 2nd to wide open in 4th theres barely any as long as you keep the throttle rolling up through the gears. if you stay at a steady half throttle, quarter throttle, max throttle in any gear it sputters/coughs.

• tek_01

Posted March 15, 2010 - 06:48 PM

try unplugging the TPS and see if that improves it at all

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 16, 2010 - 04:04 AM

I'm having a problem.... its at the whole power band. from inital throttle to WOT and cruising at any speed it coughs, and then backfires when i let of throttle. it was there since the day i got the bike new but a little worse now except for the popping which is way worse.

07 yz450f
I'm at 2000 - 3000 ft. around 55-65 degrees here now. I first installed a twin air air filter. no change. installed 160 main (165 stock) and needle at same position from dynojet as per their instructions of having aftermarket exhaust. a little worse. i just put on my yoshimura rs-2 slip on. no change. Fuel screw just makes it pop a LOT more at about 1 turn. 2 turns out, same running condition just less popping. I'm thinking main is rich but it seems to be popping a little more than it should. it also seems like those coughs or bogs i'm experiencing is from a pop during accel. so i dunno rich or lean? main jet? needle position? I just bought a #48 pilot jet (have a 45 stock) after reading on this issue a lot but now i'm not sure that will do anything for me. it gets pretty hot here in the summer months so i'm thinking it'll be a bit rich around that time

I normally don't like to give out my jetting primarily because i'm no jetting guru, and second there is just too many possible variables between 2 riders even with the same bike, but here is my experiences with my '07 (completely stock) within the same ambient temps as you. Fattening up your pilot might help :
http://www.thumperta...ghlight=jetting

Keep in mind as well, from my experiences with the YZF's you're overly jetted rich, your top end acceleration will be slow and lagging but consistant, when you're lean your engine will rev real quick, and hesitate and pop. The "tone" of the engine when accelerating helps me out a lot when diagnosing ill jetting.

Edited by Polar_Bus, March 16, 2010 - 05:38 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.