yz426 vs ktm520

5 replies to this topic
  • rider412

Posted December 21, 2000 - 06:28 PM

Has anyone ridden the 01 ktm520sx.How does it compare to the 426.

• Hick

Posted December 22, 2000 - 12:32 PM

No, but I’ve ridden an ’00 520 SX.

It was noticeably lighter, easier to start, and faster (in that order). I rode it for 15 minutes in a sand wash and whooped out trail. The forks weren’t as good as my (bone stock) ’00 426, not as plush but still softer overall. Plus a 4 speed has no place in a modern DIRT bike (supercross bike maybe), I noticed and disliked the lack of 5th gear right away.

IMO the 4 speed makes this a motocross only bike. No trails, no GPs, no off-road, nada. Why’d they do that??? What does one extra lousy gear weigh (they’ve got room to spare)? Are there that many people who do nothing but 100% moto? Don’t people like this get tired of going around in circles? Just wondering…

I think the bike tops out at around 70 mph w/ stock gearing.

But I think both the MXC and EXC will easily top 100.

• MikeOK

Posted December 22, 2000 - 01:01 PM

A racing friend of mine gave me a report on the KTM, this guy previously rode a 426 and the thing he noticed most was the weight difference. He said the KTM felt much lighter. He also said the KTM parts were both harder to find and more expensive...

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeolichney

Posted December 22, 2000 - 05:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hick:
[B]No, but I’ve ridden an ’00 520 SX.

IMO the 4 speed makes this a motocross only bike. No trails, no GPs, no off-road, nada. Why’d they do that??? What does one extra lousy gear weigh (they’ve got room to spare)? Are there that many people who do nothing but 100% moto? Don’t people like this get tired of going around in circles? Just wondering…

I read that you can retrofit the EXC/MXC 5th and 6th gears into the SX gearbox. Its the same tranny, they just left out the top two gears to save weight on the SX. I suppose if you can spend 7-8 grand on an SX, whats splitting the cases to get more gears? I love my 426 now that it runs well (with a carb swap), but if I was going for a KTM I would just go for the MXC and pick up the e start and the 3.7 (3.3?) gal tank for HS and off road. The MXC adds some weight of course, but maybe since it has a kickstarter too I would take off the Estuff to save weight in the summer on the track (in the winter I do HS and I lust after that ebutton). I would replace that orange plastic with black, and buy an SX tank for the track. Maybe try to see if a YZ, CR, KX etc front fender in black would fit well to replace the phallus. The suspension and lower 4 gears are the same, Im told, so the MXC sounds good and versatile.

• BBRguy

Posted December 26, 2000 - 04:27 AM

ive ridden a 01 520 sx. it was basicly a works bike. and still the suspension on a 01 426 is better. and the grunt on a 426 is better. no offense but the 520 is smooth, and is better suited for older guys who dont want to die when then whack the throttle. for us young guys though. the 426 is it. until honda suzuki or kawasaki produces something like the 426 but lighter. we dont need to look past the yzf's. although the ktm was fun. and i would race it. but not as effectivly.

• motoman393

Posted December 26, 2000 - 09:20 AM

SAVE WEIGHT!!!! :0)

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.