2010 YZ 450 hour meter / radiator braces

43 replies to this topic
  • Pmason718

Posted April 08, 2011 - 01:26 PM

Where can I find a .pdf on what to take apart so that I can install a Trail Tech Hour Meter?

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2011 - 01:49 PM

Install it on what, and why would you need to take anything apart?

• danZ73

Posted April 08, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Where is everyone mounting their hour meters? Not a whole lot of room over the rads without the fork tubes hitting it.

• Pmason718

Posted April 08, 2011 - 06:27 PM

Install it on what, and why would you need to take anything apart?

I thought I needed to remove some plastics to get to the spark plug wire to wrap the hour meter wire around it.

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2011 - 07:17 PM

I'll ask again, install it on what?

• Pmason718

Posted April 08, 2011 - 07:34 PM

I'll ask again, install it on what?

on the spark plug wire. The hour meter wire needs to be wrapped around spark plug cord

• Pat E

Posted April 09, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Stock rads. are pretty flimsy, destroyed both of mine within first season. I started with stock rads. and Dr.D lowering kit, but once I saw the need for braces, I took the lowering kit off. (didn't notice ANY handling difference either way) Rads were so bad I put a set of Fluidynes on with Works Connnec. braces and STILL bent the rad and brace in a fall... Overall, some type of braces are a must on this bike. Or don't fall.

• txjeffro301

Posted April 09, 2011 - 08:18 AM

The Works Connection braces have two holes or positions on them, one for stock position and one for rads that have been lowered. I am running them on my 2010.

Do yourself a favor and have your wife buy you a tuner, it was the best $200.00 ever spent on the bike and it has a hour meter built in.

Good luck from the Lone Star State

• txjeffro301

Posted April 09, 2011 - 08:21 AM

The only place I found was on the flat part of the head stem where the serial numbers are. Covers the numbers but not really an issue for me.
Good Luck
txjeffro301

• rdefonce

Posted April 09, 2011 - 09:49 AM

Stock rads. are pretty flimsy, destroyed both of mine within first season. I started with stock rads. and Dr.D lowering kit, but once I saw the need for braces, I took the lowering kit off. (didn't notice ANY handling difference either way) Rads were so bad I put a set of Fluidynes on with Works Connnec. braces and STILL bent the rad and brace in a fall... Overall, some type of braces are a must on this bike. Or don't fall.

Interesting comments on lowering vs. not lowering.
after reading, i'm glad i didn't lower mine. Protection wins over lowering.;-)

I put GYTR braces on my bike. They don't seem like as much protection as what I've got on my KTM 200 rads (Bullet Proof Designs) and probably not as much protection as what you have, but at least they will do a lot more than nuthin!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2011 - 11:40 AM

on the spark plug wire. The hour meter wire needs to be wrapped around spark plug cord

On an '86 XR400?

In the first place, it has to be wrapped around the high tension lead, but it can't be wrapped around the HT lead on a YZ450 because the bike doesn't have one. Run the wire under the spark plug boot seal and wind it 2-3 times around the plastic body of the plug cap, which happens to be the coil.

Now, what year is your bike?

• Pmason718

Posted April 09, 2011 - 02:05 PM

On an '86 XR400?

In the first place, it has to be wrapped around the high tension lead, but it can't be wrapped around the HT lead on a YZ450 because the bike doesn't have one. Run the wire under the spark plug boot seal and wind it 2-3 times around the plastic body of the plug cap, which happens to be the coil.

Now, what year is your bike?

2011. Just don't know how to get to the spark plug so that I can wrap it around the wire

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Read your manual. You raise the tank, release the plastic fasteners we already talked about (see page 1-11 of your manual), and lift off the engine cover.

And like I also said, you can't get a signal from for your hour meter by wrapping the lead around the wires running to the plug cap on a YZ450.

• Pmason718

Posted April 09, 2011 - 07:13 PM

Read your manual. You raise the tank, release the plastic fasteners we already talked about (see page 1-11 of your manual), and lift off the engine cover.

And like I also said, you can't get a signal from for your hour meter by wrapping the lead around the wires running to the plug cap on a YZ450.

Ok I will check the manual but were can I get a signal from of off the 2011 YZ450?

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2011 - 05:30 PM

I told you already in post 31.

• Pmason718

Posted April 10, 2011 - 08:16 PM

I told you already in post 31.

oops forgot about that. How easy is it to access it? what if any plastics need to be removed

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 11, 2011 - 03:27 AM

:ride::cheers:

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2011 - 07:37 AM

:p:cheers:

I think we've gone about as far as we can with this. :ride:

• Pmason718

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:22 AM

Dude forgive me im all over the place the last few days. If I need any additional help i will start my own thread thanks

• Pmason718

Posted April 18, 2011 - 02:26 PM

In my manual that came with the bike on page 1-11 there is nothing in regards to this wire. Does anyone have pics of what and where I should be wrapping the hour meter wire around. I thankful for your help but I'm stumped on this one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.