Carb adjustment help please???

3 replies to this topic
  • bnyfe

Posted March 14, 2010 - 03:40 PM

Just got rid of a 2008 450F and had it dialed in perfectly for my elevation 100' and ambient temperature.

Just bought a brand new 2007 450f off a guy who bought it, rode for like 5 minutes, scared himself and parked it for the last 3 years.

I completely disassembled the carb, cleaned it, and put it all back together. This is my first time doing a 4 stroke carb, but I know that it is back together properly. I followed the manual and triple checked everything.

I have all the stock jets in there and the pilot screw is set to 1.5 turns out. When I wick the throttle on with no load, the motor hesitates and then comes on.

The air filter barely has any oil on it, as the oil that is there is still the stuff from the factory and it's three years old and barely existent.

Any ideas to help me?

Thank you.:banana:

• ForsheeMS

Posted March 15, 2010 - 08:46 AM

You really need to jet the bike by riding it. Sitting on the stand and stabbing the throttle will most likely result in an off idle hesitation or bog no matter what. Try riding the bike and see what it does and adjust it from there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2010 - 08:57 AM

This is true. At in neutral, the timing is remapped, and underway, you rarely open the throttle quickly from speeds as low as an idle.

Nonetheless, verify that your accelerator pump is working, and that it's timed correctly (see the manual). You may also want to revisit the pilot jet to be certain that the cross holes are clear and that the idle discharge port is open and clear. Look in Common Threads for posts on pilot adjustment, jetting, etc.

• bnyfe

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:37 PM

Ok...thanks guys...will do the same...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.