Stock vs. aftermarket

3 replies to this topic
  • CORONASwLIME

Posted March 13, 2010 - 09:40 PM

Are there any advantages of buying an aftermarket exhaust vs. just installing an insert to open up the stock exhaust?

• Cirus

Posted March 14, 2010 - 05:04 AM

When I bought my 06 i tried the insert first and it was okay but I had a 04 YZ450 setting there with a powerbomb header and can so I decided to switch it out just to see the difference. Get the exhaust.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drick

Posted March 15, 2010 - 07:41 PM

+1 for pipe / header.

i did megabomb + q4 and i love it. also very quiet for those of us in overly regulated Cali

• WR450FGreg

Posted March 16, 2010 - 12:29 AM

There is little improvement to be gained by simply fitting an insert.
The rest of the muffler restricts flow too much.

If you're on a budget then open the muffler up properly and fit an insert for reasonable power improvement. Add a YZ450F header for full-blown version!

I have ridden, back-to-back, identical (apart from the exhaust) WR450Fs and I can categorically state that a properly modified, stock muffler, coupled to a YZ450F header performs as well, if not better than a (very loud) "Race" White Bros full system.

In summary: if you have heaps of money and like to waste it then buy an exhaust.
If not then do the mods.

Check this out and you'll see what I mean.... http://www.thumperta... saves big $$$$

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.