2001 YZ426F Intake Cam binding

1 reply to this topic
  • FlashGordon

Posted March 13, 2010 - 08:16 PM

Anyone experienced this before? Picked up a 2001 426 that had the top end disassembled. Previous owner planned to do a new top end, but never finished. Sat around for years.

On re-assembly, i noted some scoring on the center bearing surface of the intake cam, head, and cap. I was able to clean it up, but found something is out of whack with the camshaft cap. Camshaft will not rotate when cap is bolted in place. With both out of the engine, it will get stuck just by pressing it firmly into the cap assy. I used plastigauge, the the end bearing has .001" clearance, and the center one in question is .002" on the top, and .003" on the bottom; so should be plenty loose. I confirmed it is the center one binding. I looked at it under magnification, and on the head without the camshaft, and can't see anything obvious.

Seems like the only option is to try to get a replacement, which is not sold separately at MrCycle, or Bike Bandit.

Since that area was scored, I am surmising this problem was there before the engine came apart. Also found the cam chain guide on the exhaust side (front) was beat to crap; all the edges gone. I replaced it and the cam chain when I ordered all my parts. It is probably all related.

Suggestions welcomed,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2010 - 08:30 PM

This is fairly common, and nearly always brought on by improperly torquing the caps. They fit very snugly on the cams (.0008 - .0021"), and are very easily distorted by incorrect assembly. They have to be seated by hand, torqued in steps in the correct pattern and to the correct spec (or less; I use 75 in/lb).

Check the clearance near 9:00 o'clock in the bores. Also check the runout on the cam. If the head's distorted, a good shop like Engine Dynamics can correct it economically. The caps are line bored on the head as main bearing caps on an engine block are, and can't be sold separately.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.