Broke Friction Plate????

1 reply to this topic
  • naroy2

Posted March 13, 2010 - 03:03 PM

I'm hoping you guys may provide a little insight here.

I went riding last weekend and sprung an oil leak in my clutch cover gasket. I had lost about 1/2 quart of oil on my 2003 WR 450

I drove it about 1/2 mile to a good parking spot and parked it, then hauled it back to the house. I had to order my gasket through rekluse since I use the oversized gasket on my oem clutch cover. This is required when keeping the oem clutch cover when you have a rekluse installed. While I had Rekluse on the phone, I went ahead and got some new Rekluse Friction plates.

I opened up the clutvh cover today and starting taking out the old OEM friction plates. About half way down the stack, I noticed one was busted. About a 4 inch piece had busted out from the friction plate. I found all the pieces in the basket except for 2 tabs and about an inch of plate.

I flushed the crankcase out with oil twice. I had several small shratnel pieces come out but no large pieces. The OEM friction plate is made out of a very soft pewter.

My question is....should I take this to a pro who can disassemble the entire crankcase and gears to make sure all the pieces are out OR put it back together, fill it with oil, run it for a bit again and reflush?

I have inpescted the gears behind the clutch basket and do not see any damage.

What do you guys think???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • naroy2

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:18 PM

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.