Oil drain bolt

5 replies to this topic
  • Rea666

Posted March 13, 2010 - 01:59 PM

Hi all,
I need some help, today morning I wanted change oil but drain bolt at the bottom of the engine just turning around and around:banghead::banana::banghead:.
Last time the oil was change in the garage so I dont know, maybe they damage the thread on the bolt.
Could anyone give me some tip what to do? Hopefully is not big deal.
Thanks a lot!

PS: Sorry for my english!

• Cirus

Posted March 14, 2010 - 04:53 AM

As long as its the bolt striped out and not the threads in the motor you should be fine. You need to get a flat blade screwdriver or something small and flat and drive it under the head of the bolt just enough to put pressure on the bolt while backing it out. That will usually get the threads to grab and it will come on out. A pair of vise grips works good also for downward pressure. If you have a welder you can also weld something onto the bolt so you can pull down on it for more leverage, I've done that before. The bolt is probably trash anyway.

• Rea666

Posted March 14, 2010 - 06:19 AM

As long as its the bolt striped out and not the threads in the motor you should be fine. You need to get a flat blade screwdriver or something small and flat and drive it under the head of the bolt just enough to put pressure on the bolt while backing it out. That will usually get the threads to grab and it will come on out. A pair of vise grips works good also for downward pressure. If you have a welder you can also weld something onto the bolt so you can pull down on it for more leverage, I've done that before. The bolt is probably trash anyway.

I tried screwdriver and it is doesnt work...:banana::banghead::lol:
What about if the threads in the motor are damaged? Is it big problem? Hopefully it will be ok because I have already enough with this stupid bike!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mightymart

Posted March 14, 2010 - 09:09 AM

I the same happen to my bike , I took it K&S racing in Sittingbourne Kent & £25 later I had a new insert useing the same bolt . All good as new now !!!

• Rea666

Posted March 14, 2010 - 01:04 PM

I the same happen to my bike , I took it K&S racing in Sittingbourne Kent & £25 later I had a new insert useing the same bolt . All good as new now !!!

Im quite far from Sittingbourne, but in that case i`ll try another garage.

• mightymart

Posted March 14, 2010 - 01:57 PM

I see you were from the UK & thought I would mention Sittingbourne just in case you were near, but at least it gives you an idea of the price for repair. I believe anything under £100 you may aswell leave it to the experts !
Good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.