model year ID.

10 replies to this topic
  • fishkiller

Posted March 13, 2010 - 07:26 AM

haeding to look at a bike and need to know how to identify model year from vin. number,thanks for the help

• fishkiller

Posted March 13, 2010 - 07:38 AM

To add to that the owner says its a 09 I would just like to make sure its not a 08

• crf450319

Posted March 13, 2010 - 07:55 AM

The year designation for an '09 is "Y", the serail number should be something like

JYACJ********** an '08 would be JXACJ*********

Does that make sense ?

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2010 - 08:00 AM

It would make sense, except that it's entirely wrong.

The tenth character of the VIN is the year identifier. For 2001-2009 vehicles, single digits are used, so the '08 will be an '8', and an '09 will be a '9'.

For 2010, they have gone back to using alpha characters, but it's still the tenth character in the string.

http://en.wikipedia....l_year_encoding

• fishkiller

Posted March 13, 2010 - 08:01 AM

yes that makes great sense have been searching this forum for awhile no luck thanks big time, even called the dealer and he couldnt help me?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted March 13, 2010 - 09:06 AM

I've been comparing parts for the past couple weeks and had noticed that different years moved 1 letter of the alphabet - this was consistent for the years I'd been searching anyway. Pre '05 YZ450F's don't have a letter designation after the model name - if searching for parts online.

The '98 400F to '04 450F's don't have a letter marker after the model name.

'98 400F to '04 450F - YZ450F
'05 450F - YZ450FT
'06 450F - YZ450FV

According to Wikipedia - gray's link "the letters U and Z and the digit 0 are not used for the model year code" Which explains why there isn't a YZ450FU - wouldn't that be funny though ?

'07 450F - YZ450FW
'08 450F - YZ450FX
'09 450F - YZ450FYW (- 4th to 8th digits : these positions represent vehicle attributes such as body style and engine type). I would have thought the '09 Has the extra "W" as it would indicate the LE model, I just don't know why the '07/'08s don't have the indicator for it.

http://www.atvstyle..../atv-vin-number
- 1st digit : represents the country in which it was made. 1 or 4 is for the U.S., 2 is for Canada, J is for Japan, K is for Korea etc.

- 2nd digit : represents the manufacturer. H is for Honda, K is for Kawasaki etc.

- 3rd digit : this position represents the vehicle type or manufacturing division which can vary by make of vehicle.

- 4th to 8th digits : these positions represent vehicle attributes such as body style and engine type

The '05 to '09 model years - not serial numbers are identifiable by the letter designation after the "450F". My serial # starts with JYAC, and the model year identifier assoc. with the '09 YZ450F is also "Y" which is how I came to my conclusion/assumption.

If looking at the model #, NOT the serial # then what I had posted would have been correct. Of course that's not what the OP had asked.

• fishkiller

Posted March 13, 2010 - 11:51 AM

The search continues. Went and checked her out. Couple things did not add up right from the get go. Yes it was the correct year but several other things poppped out at me. The most important two would be the large amount of sand inside the air boot! My 05 yz is greasy slick black clean inside of the air boot with no cleaning. Oh well. the right one will come up for sure. Was really really hoping to be haulin her home but feel like I made the right decision. Thanks for the VIN help guys.

• fishkiller

Posted March 13, 2010 - 03:52 PM

And it happens again. Got home from not buying the new bike and went to the track with my 250 2t. I REALLY do hope the 4t is gonna be as much fun for me! Sure it will be but I am keeping my yz just in case!:banana:

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2010 - 06:03 PM

Pre '05 YZ450F's don't have a letter designation after the model name - ...

That's flatly incorrect. The '98 was the YZ400FK, the 2000 was the YZ426FM, the '01 was the YZ426FN, and so on, including the '04, which was designated the YZ450FS.

You need to also understand that these are corporate designators, and have nothing whatever to do with the VIN numbers. They are also stamped nowhere on the bike, and are thus useless for the purposes of identifying the year model from looking only at the vehicle.

'07 450F - YZ450FW
'08 450F - YZ450FX
'09 450F - YZ450FYW (- 4th to 8th digits : these positions represent vehicle attributes such as body style and engine type). I would have thought the '09 Has the extra "W" as it would indicate the LE model, I just don't know why the '07/'08s don't have the indicator for it.

Here again, these are model names, not VIN numbers, so you are trying to assign attributes of the VIN to a given name that has no more to do with the VIN number than "Z28" does, nor do the rules regarding VIN numbers have any application to model names made up by any manufacturer. Note that the VIN year model code for the '06 is "6", while Yamaha's model name uses "V". There's just no connection.

And BTW, the YZ450FYW is the LE (white) model, the YZ450FYL is the blue. Each model year from '06 onward had had such a designator to distinguish the standard from the "special" version.

• crf450319

Posted March 13, 2010 - 08:34 PM

Okay, sounds like grey racer is upset ? Maybe I should clairify, I use this site :
http://www.mrcycles....cles&mfg=Yamaha

as a parts fiche, for whatever reason they don't list the '98 to '04's with a letter designation (model). I don't know why they left that out..... but it doesn't really matter. What I found interesting was the obvious sequence from year to year.

The '05 to '09 model years - not serial numbers are identifiable by the letter designation after the "450F". My serial # starts with JYAC, and the model year identifier assoc. with the '09 YZ450F is also "Y" which is how I came to my conclusion/assumption.

That's flatly incorrect.

- Yes, flatly indeed :banana:

So, if someone is looking for a part for the YZ450FW then it would be completely un-reasonable to assume that they were looking for a part for the '07 YZ 450 ? Re-read this VERY S-L-O-W-L-Y :

The '05 to '09 model years - not serial numbers are identifiable by the letter designation after the "450F".

If looking at the model #, NOT the serial # then what I had posted would have been correct.

So, let's re-cap here so some of us won't get confused. The "450FX/450FV/450FW etc. etc. are simply model numbers. I had taken them from Mrcycles website and for some reason they don't list the pre-05 model numbers, I don't know why they don't.... maybe if you want you can give them a phone call and ask.

Just trying to help a guy out here, I just finished reading another post about fly wheel weights and someone getting the impression that what they've experienced and/or sharing it wasn't welcome here. I seem to notice a bit of an over bearing pattern here. This would have done quite well, I more than likely would have even sent a "thanks for the info. reply" instead of thinking "this guy is a know-it-all a******" :

The tenth character of the VIN is the year identifier. For 2001-2009 vehicles, single digits are used, so the '08 will be an '8', and an '09 will be a '9'.

For 2010, they have gone back to using alpha characters, but it's still the tenth character in the string.

And would have saved me a whole lot of time trying to explain how I came to my conclusion. I'm just gonna stop now and save myself the next 5 minutes of my life.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2010 - 08:04 AM

Okay, sounds like grey racer is upset ? ...

Just trying to help a guy out here, I just finished reading another post about fly wheel weights and someone getting the impression that what they've experienced and/or sharing it wasn't welcome here.

Not upset at all, just looking to keep things accurate. In the thread you refer to, there have been a few posts deleted. They involved another TT member who got into a pissing match with the offended member, and were personal, off-point, and out of line. The problem with those posts being gone is that the remark the individual then made regarding his experience not being welcome has lost context, and you get a distorted view of what he was upset about. Still personal insults and jabs have no place here.

The fact is that this is a discussion forum. If you aren't prepared to support your viewpoint in a discussion, you probably shouldn't participate. People will seek information from any source only to the extent that the source is considered accurate. That is my main concern.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.