Top end time!

1 reply to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 12, 2010 - 11:11 PM

Well, I've got 5 years or riding, including three of racing, 2 LAB2V trips and numerous big bear rides on the wr. I do check the valves from time to time and they haven't moved in 4 years. I'm good about oil changes and filters.

Its been stone cold reliable but is definitely down on power from when it was new. When its cold, I feel damn near no compression on the kick start lever.

So its time for a top end. Actually, the f#$%kin spark plug is stuck in the head and I can't get it out :banana: So the head is coming off.

I've ordered a piston, rings, gaskets and a timing chain. Is there anything else I should be prepared to replace.

I will inspect the valves once I get the head off, so I won't buy them up front. But, they have never moved and the bike still hauls my fat ass around quite easily.

Is there anything else I should get upfront that I know for a fact should be changed on a bike with this much use?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted March 14, 2010 - 09:30 PM

I would replace the head bolts (got that beat into me in auto shop class 30 years ago...always replace the head bolts...it's cheap insurance) and the timing chain tensioner. I would also take a good close look at the timing chain gear on the crank.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.