Converting wr into dual sport

6 replies to this topic
  • bwheel22

Posted March 12, 2010 - 09:00 PM

I just bought a 99 wr and i am going to make it into a dual sport, I was wondering what a good number of teeth on my sprockets would be for highway riding and trail riding would want a top speed of around 70, It also didnt come with a speedometer, I want to find a cheap speedometer any ideas of where to get one, Ive seen the computer ones but do they require a battery? any advice on type of good enduro tire? Thanks

• gsa102

Posted March 13, 2010 - 06:19 AM

On my 07 the stock 13/50 seems pretty good, but i don't know if your gear ratios are different. The bike isn't working too hard at 65. Search the forum for trail computers, and dual sport upgrades. There are a lot of these projects going on right now.

• jcbikes

Posted March 13, 2010 - 07:22 AM

I just dual sported my 2002 WR426 here in Colorado. I have a 15 front and 50 in the rear and it works pretty good for off road and on road. I put on the Kenda dualsport tires and they grip good in the off road trails here in colorado and grip very good on the pavement too. jI have been looking for a speedo but no luck yet. I heard an older xt honda speedo might work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stev0

Posted March 13, 2010 - 09:40 AM

dont go too low. you will hate it!

• tek9tim

Posted March 13, 2010 - 11:03 AM

Start out with your stock gearing and see how you like it, then try changes from there. At 70, mine is pretty rapped out with stock gearing. Granted, it takes until around 90 to hit the rev limiter.

• bwheel22

Posted March 14, 2010 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for the help, I am just going to try my sprockets out as his and just go from there,

• rich196s

Posted March 14, 2010 - 07:17 AM

I have a 98 Wr 400 and I am probably going to put a trail tech vapor speedo on mine. I know a few people who love them.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.