how to set the counter balance assebly

1 reply to this topic
  • mxrider10001

Posted March 12, 2010 - 04:35 PM

my 03 yzf450 counter balance assembly is set wrong and im not sure how to assemble it i know that one dot on the gear lines up with the other gear next to it but there is another dot on the gear that lines up with something but i cant figure out to what there is no visual marks to line up. so the counter shaft must to one way and the gear goes the opposite up and down im guessing????? any advice ppl im lostttt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2010 - 07:54 PM

Start by downloading a service manual:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

Then look at page 4-64. With the crank at TDC, there will be a "key spline" at 12:00 o'clock on the crank. By that, I mean one that is shorter than the others. This is so that the balancer drive gear can only go on one way, and there's a mark on the inside diameter of the gear to indicate which spline goes there. If the gear is on the crank, with the marked side out, it's on correctly.

Setting the crank at TDC, you'll find a marked tooth at 3:00 o'clock. Set the balancer gear so that the mark on the edge aligns with the mark on the crank gear, dot to dot. That's all there is to it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.