buying new 2009 YZ450F....oil changes

5 replies to this topic
  • czechalien

Posted March 12, 2010 - 03:52 PM

Buying new 2009 YZ450F (not enough $$$ for 2010 :banana:) anyway, what oil and how often do you guys change yours?

I have a 2006 YZ450F and I change oil every ride no matter how many hours I put on, using cheap advance auto parts 10W-40.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 12, 2010 - 04:00 PM

I run the Amsoil 10 40 MCF and I just use a K&N paper oil filter every 3 rides. I always put fresh oil and filter in the bike if I am planning on going to a motocross track to better handle the abuse.

• BaileyAZ

Posted March 12, 2010 - 05:49 PM

Every three rides.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted March 12, 2010 - 06:26 PM

i use castrol actevo syn blend (says made for mc wet clutch and shared gearbox) 10-40 in winter and 20-50 in summer. Stock filter, saving up for scotts stainless, and change it every other ride(usually about 3-5 hrs). Its $4.99 a quart at cycle gear. Comes out still golden and fresh everytime. Its verry slippery and forms what looks like beads when poured into a funnel. When i drop it out of the motor after some time it still feels, looks, and smells good. Truly as long as you run an mc oil, and as long as its changed often youre good. Some even run rotella.

• czechalien

Posted March 12, 2010 - 07:19 PM

Evrytime I change oil even after one hour it's pretty black, I don't know why.
I used the Castrol from Cycle Gear for long time, but someone said just use cheap oil and change it every ride, so I'm doing it.
But with the new bike I want to make sure I break it in properly and use good oil.

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2010 - 09:07 PM

Evrytime I change oil even after one hour it's pretty black, I don't know why.
I used the Castrol from Cycle Gear for long time, but someone said just use cheap oil and change it every ride, so I'm doing it.

Your cheap oil is oxidizing and/or reacting badly with the fuel residue it comes in contact with. Use a better oil.

I use Amsoil MCF and MCV (varies with temperature), and a Scotts oil filter, and I change oil and clean the filter every second or third ride day.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.