yz450f road gearing and top speed

10 replies to this topic
  • adamshackleton

Posted March 12, 2010 - 02:31 PM

hi guys,i have just bought a yz450 supermoto to use on the road,now either my speedo is set up wrong or the gearing for the road is way out,currently running 14 front and 36 rear and bike is screaming flat out at 65mph where as my brothers 426 flies beyond 90mph,what top speed should i expect from this bike? and what gearing would you guys recommend? thanks

• FinchFan194

Posted March 12, 2010 - 02:48 PM

What year is it?

• mikedabike

Posted March 12, 2010 - 10:56 PM

Something is wrong 14/36 on any YZ450 is well over 100 MPH even with 17" wheels. Are you sure it is a 36? I did not think you could go that small and still have the chain track correctly through the guide.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 13, 2010 - 04:50 AM

Something is wrong 14/36 on any YZ450 is well over 100 MPH even with 17" wheels. Are you sure it is a 36? I did not think you could go that small and still have the chain track correctly through the guide.

Yup, I agree.

My stock geared '07 will pull about 83 mph on the ice via GPS
If that is in fact a 36T rear sprocket, my guess is the engine is incapable (torque) to pull that high of gearing....

as a comparison, with my KX500, anything smaller than a 42T rear, I start to feel the peak rpm's really flatten out and lag...

• FinchFan194

Posted March 13, 2010 - 11:08 AM

Yup, I agree.

My stock geared '07 will pull about 83 mph on the ice via GPS
If that is in fact a 36T rear sprocket, my guess is the engine is incapable (torque) to pull that high of gearing....

as a comparison, with my KX500, anything smaller than a 42T rear, I start to feel the peak rpm's really flatten out and lag...

nevermind. . .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adamshackleton

Posted March 13, 2010 - 11:37 AM

chain tracks fine and is def 36 rear and 14 front but tops out on rev limiter at 65mph,feels about that fast to but guess i should check the vapour speedo is correct(set up correct with right wheel size programmed in) through the gears is smooth and very powerfull giving her beans so cant really se as anything is wrong engine wise,mind, it is very easy to stall with this gearing

• adamshackleton

Posted March 13, 2010 - 11:38 AM

2003 mate

• Michigantrailrider

Posted March 13, 2010 - 05:13 PM

For what it's worth, the 2003 is a four speed so I can understand how it is hard to get high top end speed. It was geared for motocross where the high top speed was not that important. I run a 16 on the front and a 45 on the rear for my road setup, but I am not concerned with going that fast either. My buddy has a YZ 426 that is a 5 speed and he has much more top end.

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2010 - 07:01 PM

A stone stock '03 will exceed 80 mph on dirt easily. I know because mine did. If you are hitting the rev limiter that soon, check for a short in the neutral switch circuit (unplug the CDI, with the bike in gear and check continuity to ground from the light blue lead running to the switch. It should be open ; no continuity in gear, grounded in neutral).

If this circuit grounds while in gear, the rev limit will be cut to 7000

• FinchFan194

Posted March 13, 2010 - 09:47 PM

Now that makes since Gray as to the OP's problem.

• adamshackleton

Posted March 14, 2010 - 03:31 AM

For what it's worth, the 2003 is a four speed so I can understand how it is hard to get high top end speed. It was geared for motocross where the high top speed was not that important. I run a 16 on the front and a 45 on the rear for my road setup, but I am not concerned with going that fast either. My buddy has a YZ 426 that is a 5 speed and he has much more top end.

i have a spare 45 rear and a 50,guess i'll try the 45 and see what difference that makes,should i go any smaller or bigger than the 14 on the front?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.