Wiseco Gasket Kit: Header Gasket

5 replies to this topic
  • clutchless

Posted March 12, 2010 - 01:34 PM

My Wiseco Top End kit came with what i believe is a header gasket. I'm running the stock header and didn't find gasket when i removed the header. The kit came with what looks to be a header gasket? Any advantages to running this? Disadvantages?

Or is this some other gasket?

07 yz450

Thanks.

• ForsheeMS

Posted March 12, 2010 - 02:29 PM

The old gasket is probably still in the exhaust port and just covered with carbon. I would remove it and put the new gasket in.

• clutchless

Posted March 12, 2010 - 02:56 PM

sweet.

beer for you.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2010 - 02:59 PM

Probably is stuck, but if you take a look, you'll probably see that the I.D. of the crushed gasket is smaller than the I.D. of the port or of the pipe itself. That this is disadvantageous should be obvious.

To that end, I have taken to bending my own gaskets from bare 8 gauge copper ground wire, available at almost any good hardware store, and using that instead. The ends can be solder together, but if you fit it to the pocket in the head correctly, it's not really necessary.

You do need some sort of gasket there, though.

• clutchless

Posted March 12, 2010 - 03:41 PM

Probably is stuck, but if you take a look, you'll probably see that the I.D. of the crushed gasket is smaller than the I.D. of the port or of the pipe itself. That this is disadvantageous should be obvious.

To that end, I have taken to bending my own gaskets from bare 8 gauge copper ground wire, available at almost any good hardware store, and using that instead. The ends can be solder together, but if you fit it to the pocket in the head correctly, it's not really necessary.

You do need some sort of gasket there, though.

yeah i noticed that when i was lining up the new gasket. Hence why i was wondering if it should go it there. It seemed odd to have a gasket that reduced the ID of the header.

Good tip. Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2010 - 03:47 PM

Buy a couple of feet, so that you can cut the first one or two too short and still get it right. :banana:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.