Relocate Regulator/Rectifier

9 replies to this topic
  • 05-WR450F

Posted March 12, 2010 - 12:46 PM

Anyone relocate the R/R on a WR450?

I have the Trail Tech unit and don't like how the left fork tube hits the wires at full lock. I want to relocate it but there isn't a whole lot of room on this bike.

Edited by 05-WR450F, March 13, 2010 - 03:00 PM.

• 05-WR450F

Posted March 13, 2010 - 03:00 PM

Nobody out there has done this? There must be lots of people with a Trail tech R/R on their bike.

• KennyMc

Posted March 13, 2010 - 05:23 PM

I have the one from Baja Designs which I think are the "same". The wires are about 1/8" away from the frame so they don't touch. The fork tubes do not hit the R/R either.

Posted Image

• umu24013

Posted March 29, 2010 - 03:52 AM

Here's my setup (wr400f). I had to saw off the upper part of the stock regulator mount to make it fit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• mrlopez

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:34 AM

Hey umu did you remove the stock regulator from the bike and just replace it with the regulator/rectifier? Because I kept boths on my bike after addeing the baja rectifier

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • umu24013

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:56 AM

Hey umu did you remove the stock regulator from the bike and just replace it with the regulator/rectifier? Because I kept boths on my bike after addeing the baja rectifier

Yes, I removed the stock Reg, installed a 150w TrailTech RR unit, upgraded to the WR426 stator (130W), floated the ground, installed a battery and a 15A fuse.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 29, 2010 - 02:09 PM

Nobody out there has done this? There must be lots of people with a Trail tech R/R on their bike.

Like you, on my '08 I did not like the clearance at the fork. I zip tied mine to a frame tube at the top rear of the airbox. My second choice of location was to bolt it to the bottom of my airbox on the outside (plenty of room and no concern for water as these things are sealed). I think the newer units have the mounts milled a little for extra clearance, but I've never been thrilled with the stock mounting location.

• 05-WR450F

Posted March 30, 2010 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for the replies! Does anyone know if it needs to be grounded to the frame?

• umu24013

Posted March 30, 2010 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for the replies! Does anyone know if it needs to be grounded to the frame?

No, it doesn't

• mrlopez

Posted March 30, 2010 - 10:21 AM

Yes, I removed the stock Reg, installed a 150w TrailTech RR unit, upgraded to the WR426 stator (130W), floated the ground, installed a battery and a 15A fuse.

Hey can you pm the details on how you did your electrical I'm still having a few issues and seems like you got it right on plus what you mean floated the ground? Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.