08 or 09 YZ450F

9 replies to this topic
  • TAGYZF

Posted March 12, 2010 - 08:52 AM

I've been looking for a new 09 and have come across a smokin deal on a new 08. Anyone ride both and would recommend the 09 over the 08? I ride woods and harescrambles.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Tracy

• hondacrracer2

Posted March 12, 2010 - 09:05 AM

im pretty sure their the same bike, if im wrong, there was only slight changes made between the 2 years. most likely u will be happy with either bike if i was you i would get the 08 and put themoney you save d towards some aftermarket parts

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2010 - 09:26 AM

The '09 does have some refinements, but they're not huge in their effect.

One consideration is that the '09 has a new swing arm, and uses a larger axle, so the rear wheels from earlier models can't be directly interchanged. There is one fairly simple method of adapting them, if you can fabricate stuff, but if you think you want to get a second wheel set used, you should probably just get the '08.

• motojase316

Posted March 16, 2010 - 02:35 AM

Grey racer is right on with the changes between the 08/09. I have ridden both same day back to back. same same, go for the smokin deal on the 2008.

• YamaLink

Posted March 16, 2010 - 05:35 AM

If you are set on the Yamaha brand I'd get the 08 in your situation.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • akoett

Posted March 16, 2010 - 08:00 AM

I got an 08 450 and i love the thing. Only reason i would have wanted to get a 09 is because of the black wheels on special edition bike.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 16, 2010 - 12:06 PM

I love my 08 in the woods and on the track so you can't go wrong with either bike IMO.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 16, 2010 - 01:18 PM

I love my 08 in the woods and on the track so you can't go wrong with either bike IMO.

Yours must not have that rolling on ball bearings all the time feel to it? My 06 is really starting to piss me off with the way it handles.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 16, 2010 - 01:40 PM

Yours must not have that rolling on ball bearings all the time feel to it? My 06 is really starting to piss me off with the way it handles.

I know a guy that is a former factory Yamaha rider from the early 80's(I can PM his name if you want,not gonna mention it publicly) and he even agreed that the 08 is a totally different feeling bike. I know Langston thought so when he won the title in 07 he claimed that halfway through the season they switched to the 08 frame and it made a world of difference to him in how the bike felt. The 08 fram is suppose to have better flex than the 06/07 frames.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 16, 2010 - 02:37 PM

I know a guy that is a former factory Yamaha rider from the early 80's(I can PM his name if you want,not gonna mention it publicly) and he even agreed that the 08 is a totally different feeling bike. I know Langston thought so when he won the title in 07 he claimed that halfway through the season they switched to the 08 frame and it made a world of difference to him in how the bike felt. The 08 fram is suppose to have better flex than the 06/07 frames.

Huh, that I didn't know.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.