new sprocket

11 replies to this topic
  • sbohanon

Posted December 19, 2000 - 02:45 AM

going to a 51t sprocket to help in tight woods. will the chain need to be longer? looks like plenty of adjustment to compensate for the bigger sprocket.

• motoman393

Posted December 19, 2000 - 02:09 PM

no need to worry the sprocket will fit if you have the stock length chain! Only 2 teeth wont make that big of a difference on the adjustment but your YZ will be able to climb a tree!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• sbohanon

Posted December 19, 2000 - 02:53 PM

thats what i thought, but i don't think it will climb a tree. just looking for a little
more use out of second gear in the tight stuff with less clutch!! also the tracks i ride are are half supercross, half outdoor. i dont think ive ever seen 5th gear.

• MikeOK

Posted December 19, 2000 - 03:39 PM

sbo- let us know how it works- our tracks here are so tight I hardly ever get into 4th gear, maybe that's why my transmission is still stock hehe...

Mike

• sbohanon

Posted December 20, 2000 - 09:53 AM

it will probably be late february, early march before i find out. winter is here and we will probably have our first white christmas in a long time.

• sbohanon

Posted December 22, 2000 - 10:42 PM

ok, i put the 51t sprocket on today and cannot adjust the chain properly. the rear guide is preventing the wheel from moving forward enough. what can be done to modify or purchase a new guide to allow use of the stock chain length? i would like to see if turning is any easier with the shorter wheelbase.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted December 25, 2000 - 06:03 PM

I had the same problem on my WR. I took my dremel tool and shaved off/rounded the area where the chain will touch. Works just fine. BTW, the WR turns WORLDS BETTER with the wheelbase shorter. I was running 112 teeth with a 13/50, now 114 teeth with 14/51. I didn't try the 112 w/ 14/51 as I was changing everything, but I don't think it will fit.

BTW, I added a Fredette chain guide later which has much more clearance than stock, even my shaved down version. Less mud collects and the chain doesn't rub hardly at all. Good luck!

• sbohanon

Posted December 26, 2000 - 07:35 AM

thanks mcarp.
i ordered the moose chain guide, it looks like the freddete model. also ordered a 116 link chain just in case. i will try the guide first, then the chain. i'll post my findings. probably sometime next week.

• yzf

Posted January 03, 2001 - 02:13 PM

i have a 1999 yz400 i went up one tooth in the rear with the stock lenght chain and the tire hit the mud flap (1109019 752) i had to get a longer chain even though a had plenty of adjustment left to move the tire forward

• Taffy

Posted January 03, 2001 - 03:56 PM

i don't think that moving the rear wheel forward made any difference to the handling of my WR. i ran it forward all last season until october. i got through one of those mudflaps because i had it up so far.

i also ran 13t i nearly wore through the swingarm! so now i've got the 15t x 52t, a new mudflap with a little strip of metal bending it almost flat to rub it against the swingarm inside face. tthe wheel is forward-but nott silly.

i'm jacking the rear up even more this winter to steepen the head angle & i'll deal with the seat height in my usual £5 special way!

Taffy

• sbohanon

Posted January 04, 2001 - 02:36 AM

i feel kind of stupid now, the 51t sprocket fits fine with the stock chain length and guide. the binding i was experiencing was because the brake caliper bracket was not seated properly in the tab welded to the swingarm. the tire i have is a michelin 130/70-19, can't remember which one however. its profile is a bit smaller than most and it clears the mud flap. i was planning on putting a 120/90-19 752 on for spring. hopefully this clears everything. if it doesn't, i have a brand new 116p chain to use. i will report early march on how the 51t sprocket helped in the tight stuff, should also be very muddy due to all the snow we have gotten.

• Hick

Posted January 04, 2001 - 07:48 AM

Originally posted by sbohanon:
I was planning on putting a 120/90-19 752 on for spring, hopefully this clears everything.

I have run that tire on my ’00 YZF, no real clearance problems, great soft terrain tire. It did chew on the mud flap a bit, but at about 100 hours, all with a Dunlop 120/90-19 of some kind, it is still in one piece (although I just ordered a new one).

I also have some rub marks on the fender but nothing serious.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.