Engine oil 2000 wr400

9 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 18, 2000 - 09:03 PM

Just picked up a new 2000 wr 400 for my buddy. It is his christmas present from his girlfriend. One of my questions is the oil was overfull, so i drained it from the frame and refilled to full level. Started it and checked the oil after 10 or 15 seconds of running and it was still overfull. Drained it again, and the same thing just not as high. So far i have drained out one qt. Basically i want to know if checking it after 10 seconds of running is the way to go? Any help will be greatly appreciated otherwise i am going to drain the crankcase and the frame and start there. Thanks

• Tim

Posted December 19, 2000 - 05:43 AM

Hi,
You must check the oil level when the bike is hot. Don't worry, you are not the only one that has done this........
Hope this helps. Tim

• Hick

Posted December 19, 2000 - 07:29 AM

Be careful, you may have taken out enough oil to end up causing some damage. As Tim said, the dipstick reading is only meaningful just after the bike is shut off.

Make sure there is something in there, warm the bike up and check it again.

If you drain the oil you must drain the frame (plug is on front side of down tube, just above skid plate) and crankcase. If you do this refill with 1.75 quarts of Yamalube 4R. Tell your buddy to give his girlfriend a big kiss and change the oil and filter after every ride for the first several rides (both to be on the safe side).

What an awesome Christmas present. I’ll probably get a pair of socks…

• Boit

Posted December 19, 2000 - 01:22 PM

I hope you aren't checking the oil by screwing in the dipstick all the way. You should remove the dipstick, wipe, and then just reinsert without starting any threads. If you want a good starting point for the amount of oil, drain the crankcase, the frame tank, put in a new filter and add about a quart and a half of oil. I always put a fan at the front of the radiators and then run my engine at least 3 minutes before shutting it down to check the level. The fan is to keep the header pipe from getting too hot. Also, when you've added about a quart of oil and if you try to continue to pour in oil at a fast rate, it will almost always overflow and make a mess. I suppose it just doesn't flow down into the tank fast enough. To keep from doing this, I got one of those little styrofoam coffee cups and pour a couple of ounces into the cup and then into the filler tube. This keeps me from overflowing. Geez...I hate making a mess... :)

• mikeolichney

Posted December 19, 2000 - 02:06 PM

Changing the oil on these bikes is a pain, you need to do it so often. The price we pay for not needing to premix. I have a filling ritual I think works well and is not messy, plus you don't have to clean oil out of any measuring containers. I use the Yamalube 4R in 1 qt containers. What's nice is that the container has a clear graduations window strip on the side so you can accurately see oil level. I bought this orange plastic fill spout at Kmart for about $3, and it fits right on the Yamalube 1 qt container and doesn't leak. It even has a shut off valve on it so you can turn it over without spilling. The end of the spout fits perfectly into the oil filler hole. I pour 1 quart into the hole (the container/spout will stay put in the hole if you squeeze alot of oil out, and the rest will drain by gravity while you do something else). Then I fill that container again to the proper level by putting the spout on the second quart container and filling the first to the proper mark (once you get it right you know how much to fill the container, about 3/4 quart). Switch the spout and pour into the filler hole. The Yamalube containers must be filled pretty accurately because I always come out on the same level on the dipstick.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawbridge Husky

Posted December 19, 2000 - 02:21 PM

Has anyone out there used Golden Spectro? My favorite bike shop / mech. is pushing this line and it has good reviews from what I can tell.

• Boit

Posted December 19, 2000 - 02:32 PM

Mike: That sounds like something I want to try. With your way, you've never had a problem with the fill tube overflowing when you get down to the last half quart of oil addition?

Hugh: I've used the Golden Spectro synthetic blend. It's a top tier oil and you won't go wrong using it. However, I switched to Bel Ray EXS 10W50 to try and improve my transmission shifting. It has performed according to the claims in a magazine article and I will stay with this oil....especially since I now have 2 cases in my shop. :)

• F-Pilot

Posted December 19, 2000 - 02:59 PM

Check it with the motor off, run it till warm, shut it off, wait 1 min, then check it.

• mikeolichney

Posted December 19, 2000 - 04:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boit:
[B]Mike: That sounds like something I want to try. With your way, you've never had a problem with the fill tube overflowing when you get down to the last half quart of oil addition?

Boit: No, never had an overflow, either with my 99 or 01. I put a steering damper on my 99 and figured this ritual out because my funnel wouldn't fit past the damper tower (went to Kmart for a thinner funnel and came back with the filler spout instead). But I don't recall having a problem when I used a funnel and a ratio rite to pour the oil. Maybe because the ratio rite only let me pour 500cc at a time. It still sounds strange to me that it overflows.

• Hick

Posted December 20, 2000 - 07:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikeolichney:
[QUOTE]It still sounds strange to me that it overflows.[/QUOTE]

Mine does this too unless I’m careful. I can pour the first quart pretty fast but the next .8 goes in slow or it ends up all over my radiators and down tube (yuck). I’ve got a damper too, but I guess my funnel is small enough to wedge in there, I’m going to try one of those spouts though, that’s sounds like a good idea.

Also, Boit makes a good point about not threading the dipstick, maybe that’s why mboh thought it was overfilled (I made the same mistake when I first got my 426).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.