Best Place for temp strip

9 replies to this topic
  • 426 NOOB

Posted March 11, 2010 - 02:00 PM

I know that when the coolant is over 250 degrees F you are too hot but what about the temp for the side of the head. Im trying to determine the best place to put my new temp strip, or better yet most accurate place, so that I can visually see motor temps. I thought I saw a thread on the most accurate place a while back but could not find it today. Thanks:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2010 - 02:32 PM

Either the side of the head or one of the upper radiator tanks. BTW, assuming you use a 50/50 mix of common EG coolant and water with a 16 lb (1.1 bar) cap, 250 (℉) isn't actually too hot, but it's getting close. At 3000 feet or less, that should boil at 265, so "too hot" is at that point. Still, it's prudent to stop heating it up at 260 or sooner.

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 11, 2010 - 02:38 PM

Either the side of the head or one of the upper radiator tanks. BTW, assuming you use a 50/50 mix of common EG coolant and water with a 16 lb (1.1 bar) cap, 250 (℉) isn't actually too hot, but it's getting close. At 3000 feet or less, that should boil at 265, so "too hot" is at that point. Still, it's prudent to stop heating it up at 260 or sooner.

i run engine ice with a stock cap. Thanks gray

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:08 PM

The stock cap is a 1.1 bar cap. With Engine Ice (PG based) the boil point should be about 5 degrees higher.

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:05 PM

The stock cap is a 1.1 bar cap. With Engine Ice (PG based) the boil point should be about 5 degrees higher.

thanks gray.:banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scrubba

Posted March 12, 2010 - 01:43 AM

is engine ice less protective to the water pump/seal, than coolanol?

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2010 - 07:41 AM

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. In that regard, there's little difference between ethylene glycol based coolants such as Coolanol and propylene glycol coolants like Engine Ice. In fact there's not much of a distinction between them at all, as far as how or how well they work when fresh.

EG coolant is extremely toxic, PG coolants are considered non-toxic (don't drink any).

PG coolants oxidize more rapidly, which forms lactic acid, and it can be very corrosive. All quality PG products include additives to protect the system from this, but it should still be changed out annually at the least just to be safe.

Neither is a really good lubricant, but both are better than plain water on that score.

• Scrubba

Posted March 12, 2010 - 02:18 PM

ok thanks, always wondered about that:thumbsup:

• davidrussell41

Posted March 12, 2010 - 04:33 PM

Is there a company that makes a radiator cap with less pressure? I run Evans cooling system coolant and it boils a 385 with no pressure. Was curious if anyone made one.

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2010 - 07:32 PM

Why would you want that?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.