Differences between YZ style Clarke and IMS tanks?

3 replies to this topic
  • Red3171

Posted May 26, 2003 - 06:26 PM

I've searched the forums, and am trying to decide which tank to buy. What are the big differences between the 2 tanks?

• Chaindrive

Posted May 26, 2003 - 08:36 PM

I bought a Clarke YZ 3.3 gal tank (black). The fit is so-so. Had to do a little modifying of the mounts and petcock hole. Even with a YZ seat, the look and fit is more WR. It is narrower than a WR, though just as nut-cracking tall. I was not impressed for the cost. I really dread mating it up with the "high-rise", oil-filter-clearing, Big Gun exhaust. I will have < 1" clearance between tank and headpipe... Not enough in my estimation!!!

Only a home-made heat shield is the answer to a potential melt-through and fireball?

Hopefully, someone else can give advice on the IMS tank. Their color offerings and "dual" petcocks sucked , so I passed over them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted May 26, 2003 - 08:52 PM

I bought the stock YZ Clarke tank. A+++. I can't complain a bit. My stock YZ tank had the famous crack at the seat problem. Clarke promised I would have no cracking problems, if so contact them and it would be replaced :)

• Red3171

Posted May 27, 2003 - 06:56 AM

So it looks like the Clarke tanks require you to use your old fuel petcock. Do the IMS tanks come with petcocks? If so, how's the quality?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.