does oil need a spark to catch fire or just exaust heat?

13 replies to this topic
  • East Coast

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:46 AM

sometimes I do an oil change and it drips on the header and I watch it burn off on my drz. My mom's car is notorious for catching fire (honda crv) when an oil change is done the oil on the exhaust catches fire.

• MotuL-Man

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Not really sure but I would think it would need more then just the exhaust heat to catch on fire :S ? Don't quote me on that though.

• dnrtheil

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:51 AM

I had a quart of oil go up in flames on my snowmobile, because I was storing it too close to the muffler. It melted the plastic container and leaked onto the exhaust.

Derek

• Sheriff245

Posted March 11, 2010 - 10:15 AM

I put olive oil in a very hot skillet and it instantly caught fire. Granted it's not petroleum oil, but it's oil nonetheless.

A diesel engine runs on oil and doesn't have a spark plug.

• downonmonday

Posted March 11, 2010 - 11:34 AM

Different oils (vehicle dino oil to olive oil) all have different temperatures they can reach before catching fire. I believe motor oil has a very high temperature before catching fire.

• downonmonday

Posted March 11, 2010 - 11:35 AM

I'm sure someone has a much more scientific answer than mine. lol

• Chuck.

Posted March 11, 2010 - 12:19 PM

Oil on a hot exhaust manifold or turbo can easily catch fire and burn.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • East Coast

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:22 PM

I think I will do my mom's oil changes while I can. I dont trust the local nob jobs to cover the exhaust from oil when changing the filter. dont want her beautiful crv SE to end up like this

• GDB221

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:43 PM

well doesn't oil cool and lube the bike? i don't get how oil would catch fire if its split on a hot exhaust because its usually inside a very hot motor. just my thought.

• klxd

Posted March 11, 2010 - 04:24 PM

Oil in the motor at 300* is different than oil on a header at 1300*.

• RDZombie

Posted March 11, 2010 - 04:56 PM

autoignition. dont know the temp for dino oil; somewhere between 450 and 550 but its a good bit higher that the engine temps, like klxd said 300 vs 1300, big difference

• downonmonday

Posted March 11, 2010 - 05:46 PM

I think I will do my mom's oil changes while I can. I dont trust the local nob jobs to cover the exhaust from oil when changing the filter. dont want her beautiful crv SE to end up like this

CRV's are known to catch fire.

• akpilot7

Posted March 11, 2010 - 07:00 PM

Here is your info:

Flash is short for flash point meaning the minimum temp needed to ignite oil vapors (in degrees F)

http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

• East Coast

Posted March 11, 2010 - 08:04 PM

CRV's are known to catch fire.

just from the oil filter leak on the exaust? or something else too?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CR 125 Tuning where to start and what to do by pepe001

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

KTM 690 Enduro R 2014 by KennTM

KTM 690 Enduro R 2014
  • 1 review
  • Last review by KennTM
  • On December 16, 2014
Forums
Photo

Worth rebuilding a '00 YZ250? by mr.boombastic

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

HELP- Bad head shake on cr 125 by mxracer77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

First ride on the new WR/FX! by Glenn 141

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.