YZ rear wheel and tire

6 replies to this topic
  • AliveInMyOde

Posted May 26, 2003 - 05:38 PM

hey guys
i don't know if thi shas been asked or answered but here it goes. can the 19 inch rear wheel and tire off a '01 YZ 426 fit on the WR 426? thanks.
-Billy

• Beta_Man

Posted May 26, 2003 - 07:09 PM

not exactly sure about the wr 426 but i switched a 2001 yz 426 19" rear wheel with the 18" rear wheel on a 99 wr 400 it was a perfect fit they were the exact same as far as i could tell. I also switched rotors. :)

• jwriott

Posted May 27, 2003 - 10:36 AM

I've got 2 sets of wheels and the 19" works fine on the WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted May 27, 2003 - 01:38 PM

Yes it fits perfect. I'm trying to get rid of my 19'' to buy a 18'' though because there is no choice for a dual sport tire in the 19'' size.

• Chaindrive

Posted May 28, 2003 - 01:36 AM

As long as the subject is up and a couple of you have both a 19" and an 18", here is what must sound like a very dumb question: Which is taller with the tire mounted and aired up: the 18" or the 19"?

Now, before I get slammed too bad, please bear in mind that a standard 16.5" truck tire and rim will have a smaller diameter than a standard 16" tire and rim. It is all in the sidewall profile/height, not the rim diameter. Is this the case with the bike tires, too? Why two different sizes? Manufacturers such as Yamaha like to standardize to save costs whenever possible. They must have a reason to use two different sizes.

I just can't figure out why my friend's YZ with a 19" sits significantly lower than my WR with an 18". (We never have had our bikes side by side since we live far apart, but we can both tell the difference when we visit each other.)

It is not the tank and seat. I switched to YZ and it made no difference in height, though it does slim it down. The frames are the same. The shock and forks are the same. Even with my 185 lbs squashing my soft 5.0 WR rear spring, his YZ with a 5.4 is lower when I sit on it. As in "tip-toes on the WR and flat-footed on the YZ". :)

• jwriott

Posted May 28, 2003 - 05:47 AM

You can fit a dual sport tire on your 19" rim. Avon Super Venoms come in a 19" tire, 100/90V19. Avon Tires There was a post in the Super Moto section a while back on 21" and 18" tires and someone mentioned the 19". The guy BobbyB, I think, did some testing and matched a Roadrunner front with this tire.

Chaindrive, I think the overall height of the tire remains the same, the sidewall is a lower profile.

I also noticed that the WR is higher even with a YZ seat/tank combo. After I started looking a little closer though, the oversize YZ tank makes the seat ride much higher so I assumed that was why it feels taller.

• Hick

Posted May 28, 2003 - 09:03 AM

As long as the subject is up and a couple of you have both a 19" and an 18", here is what must sound like a very dumb question: Which is taller with the tire mounted and aired up: the 18" or the 19"?

I just can't figure out why my friend's YZ with a 19" sits significantly lower than my WR with an 18".

The 18" will be about 1/4" shorter, maybe less. They are very close in size because the 18" has a taller profile.

I always thought the 18" was the "old-school" MX size, and the 19" was a more recent invention. But I don't really know. Currently I see the reasoning thusly: More sidewall for off-road to prevent pinch flats, less sidewall for MX for better cornering.

Setting the sag by adjusting the rings on the shock will have a more pronounced affect on seat height than the tire switch.

Hope this helps.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.