Which XR650L fork brace is the best to buy?

28 replies to this topic
  • D0T-C0M

Posted March 11, 2010 - 06:10 AM

I was looking for a fork brace for my XR650L. I was looking at the superbrace model but its $165 which seems to be a little expensive. I've seen cheaper ones like the one rswracing sells but it looks kinda flimsy. Anyone have a good fork brace that they can recommend?

• mijowilson

Posted March 11, 2010 - 07:20 AM

If your interested I just put an RSW fork brace in the classified section.:banana:

• D0T-C0M

Posted March 11, 2010 - 07:52 AM

Thanks mijowilson , PM sent

• Bbasso

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:51 AM

I'm happy with the XR's Only fork brace...

http://img265.images...03/11909562.jpg
http://img134.images...9/forkbrace.jpg
http://img98.imagesh.../forkbrace2.jpg

Edited by Bbasso, March 11, 2010 - 10:08 AM.

• D0T-C0M

Posted March 11, 2010 - 10:35 AM

I'm happy with the XR's Only fork brace...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Yeah I checked them out but they want $58 to ship it to Canada which is a rip off for a part that weighs 12oz.

• Old Dog

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:09 PM

I've got a Superbrace on mine, easy installation and never had a problem with it. :banana: :lol:

• obwan93001

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:39 PM

I installed the brace from RSWRacing and it seems to be doing it's job, have noticed alot less wobble at 75+ on the street, haven't had a chance to get out on the dirt w/it yet though but expect it to help some there too. Ron, the owner of RSWRacing was very helpful in answering some questions I had about the brace and some of their other products, a really cool guy btw. I also have a nice, barely used Scott's damper top bar mount system that I'm hoping to get to installing in the next couple of weeks or so.

Best of luck w/your choice DOT-COM!

• GINORMOUS

Posted March 12, 2010 - 04:04 PM

i just picked up a superbrace as well, i wanted something beefy. will put it on this weekend!

• D0T-C0M

Posted March 12, 2010 - 04:44 PM

What do you guys do to the plastic fork protector? Just slide it up or cut and trim?

• Old Dog

Posted March 12, 2010 - 05:28 PM

What do you guys do to the plastic fork protector? Just slide it up or cut and trim?

I tried to cut some off the stock ones and use them, but they ended up looking like azz, so I replaced them with Velcro neoprene Dirt Skins. :banana:

• D0T-C0M

Posted March 12, 2010 - 07:30 PM

With those neoprene dirt skins, did you attach the bracket overtop of it? Do you have any pics that you can post?

• Old Dog

Posted March 12, 2010 - 08:35 PM

With those neoprene dirt skins, did you attach the bracket overtop of it? Do you have any pics that you can post?

Nope, I attached them on top of the fork brace using the stock steel clamp to hold them on. You can see it in these pics ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

:banana:

• MountainBear

Posted March 12, 2010 - 08:45 PM

$165 does seem outrageous. Is the fork brace really necessary? For that amount of cabbage, I think I'll pass.

• GINORMOUS

Posted March 13, 2010 - 07:54 PM

$165 does seem outrageous. Is the fork brace really necessary? For that amount of cabbage, I think I'll pass.

ive ridden a kx500 and enjoyed it. first time riding the 650l on a track... the damn front tire went everywhere but where i wanted it to go. I couldnt hold a line to save a kittens life. But then again i havent riddin dirt in about 7 years. I do know i like a stiff fork on a dirtbike so i went with it.

And yes the price might be up there but sometimes you get what you pay for...

• creeky

Posted March 14, 2010 - 05:07 AM

A fork brace makes a large and useful improvement on the 650L, well worth it.

• MountainBear

Posted March 14, 2010 - 09:04 AM

A fork brace makes a large and useful improvement on the 650L, well worth it.

Please share why.

• creeky

Posted March 14, 2010 - 09:12 AM

Please share why.

The brace reduces fork flex and adds a considerable amount of stability in rough terrain, especially ruts.

• D0T-C0M

Posted March 14, 2010 - 09:16 AM

Well I ordered a brand new RSW fork brace for $90 shipped. Although I really liked the superbrace, it would have come out to double the price. I will paint the RSW black so it doesn't stick out and be an eye sore.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mountain Bear said,

Please share why.

I weigh 260lbs and I definitely feel the front end twisting even more when I have 2 people on the bike. On soft terrain and especially in ruts you'll see a big difference. You just have to have someone hold the front wheel between their legs while you move the handlebars side to side to see how much flex their is. When the going gets tough a brace will definitely make a huge difference. Put one on and you'll be a believer !!!

• WR TOM

Posted March 14, 2010 - 09:21 AM

Totally individual preference. If you raise the forks up in the clamps any you will need to cut away the sides of your fender or it will slam down on it on deep ruts & whoops! I ran with it & without it & to me the forks felt better with out it. Just my 2cents?

• MountainBear

Posted March 14, 2010 - 09:42 AM

I guess I'm just not experiencing the "problems" that other people are. 95% of my riding is off-road, and a lot of it is extremely rocky and rutty. I'm sure I can twist my forks while holding the wheel between my knees, but what does that matter? I've even read where some people think a little give is helpful.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

&%$#@!ing XR650R manual ... by carlgustav

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

85 xr600r camshaft bearing journals by Taylorross

• Hot  56 replies
Forums
Photo

2008 Honda xr650L Re-Jetting after Exhaust Modifications by ManFug

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

Xr650l Dave's carb mod question by theonenutbandit

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo

Is this rod shot? 87 xr600r refresh by goneballistic

• Hot  136 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.