stripped filter cover bolt. what kit do i need to buy?

4 replies to this topic
  • coreyl

Posted March 10, 2010 - 06:22 PM

i recently had my filter cover bolt strip and am wondering what timesert kit it is that i need to buy to fit that bolt. there are so many different timesert kits and i just dont know what one to buy. thanks in advance.

Edited by coreyl, March 10, 2010 - 06:55 PM.

• BBrown626

Posted March 10, 2010 - 07:15 PM

Was it the bottom one?
GrayRacer has a great fix to prevent future occurrences--fill the drain hole with some RTV. Check the FAQ to find the fix with pictures.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DRZ04

Posted March 10, 2010 - 08:56 PM

You did say oil filter cover not oil drain plug didn't you? If you are looking at a timecert you buy one for the thread size you are repairing. the kit should come with everything you needto drill, retap the hole & install the timecert.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2010 - 08:59 PM

GrayRacer has a great fix to prevent future occurrences--fill the drain hole with some RTV..

Excuse me? Under no circumstances use RTV for that.

The post he mentions is here:

However, if you use a long enough insert, you won't need the mod, because the insert will block the drain port. The thread is M6x1.0, and the insert needs to be at least long enough to reach past the drain hole where it crosses into the hole you stripped. If it's shorter than that, you'll need to block the port as shown in the post to prevent a loss of oil pressure, so get one long enough.

• coreyl

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:27 PM

ok thanks i was planning on doing the mod and then this happened before i got a chance to.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.