2001Kx 250 crank seal

7 replies to this topic
  • Moparluvr

Posted March 10, 2010 - 05:01 PM

I have a 2001 kx 250 and was wondering how hard to replace the right side crank seal? I am not sure it is leaking the bike just smokes alot. I havent had time to really rage it to get a plug reading. I recently put v force 3 in it and it has a pro circuit platinum pipe and 304 shorty silencer. It is jetted per pro circuit reccomendations. I was wondering if I can replace the seal or at least inspect it by removing the clutch assembly? I run Kotz r 50 at 32 1. Or do I have to split the cases to do so. I just put fresh tranny oil in also. Wouldn't it smell different if it was burning tranny fluid?

thanks

• hi_im_sean

Posted March 10, 2010 - 06:15 PM

I have a 2001 kx 250 and was wondering how hard to replace the right side crank seal? I am not sure it is leaking the bike just smokes alot. I havent had time to really rage it to get a plug reading. I recently put v force 3 in it and it has a pro circuit platinum pipe and 304 shorty silencer. It is jetted per pro circuit reccomendations. I was wondering if I can replace the seal or at least inspect it by removing the clutch assembly? I run Kotz r 50 at 32 1. Or do I have to split the cases to do so. I just put fresh tranny oil in also. Wouldn't it smell different if it was burning tranny fluid?

thanks

you have to split the cases to replace the seal. i have heard of the smoke changing color a little, not sure about smell.

• northernwoods

Posted March 10, 2010 - 09:44 PM

Just went through this last year with my girlfriends kx100. It had the usaul cold/needs rings two stroke smoke, but when she got into the power band I could see the smoke change from blue to more of a brown and it smells like a car burning oil compaired to a two stroke smell. I think when the crank seal is gone the engine sucks up the tranny oil at higher rpm and load like when getting into the power band "vacume". I found out if your patient it is not that hard to split the case and do the seals. As long you think the rest of the engine is good. Buy gasket/seal kit, crank bearings, yama bond or what ever case sealer you choose and borrow a puller and heat gun from some one. Get the manual from this site "lots of guys have a download" or library. I find having a clean shelf or rack to keep things organized and a digital camera are the most important. Keep posting on here and you will get the help you need.

• Moparluvr

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:43 PM

Well, all turned out to be fine. I got a chance to rip it wide open for about 10 minutes in some fields around here. The bike smokes no more. I couldnt see it being bad as I bought it from the original owner And he only rode it around his property with his son. I guess it was from just sitting over the winter. I really love the bike, it seems as it rips better than my 04 rm 250 I just sold. :banana: I am going to mix some new premium fuel tomorrow with some race gas if any stations around here have it yet and it will be great. !!!

• northernwoods

Posted March 11, 2010 - 05:57 PM

Good to here. Have fun with the new ride.

• Moparluvr

Posted March 11, 2010 - 06:26 PM

Yes I will. Michigan weather is finally NICE!!!! Only 1 thing , I just put on a ner did ert 2 chain and new front and rear sprockets. I was wondering how tight to put the chain? I heard 2 fingers width at the middle of the chain slider ?? Should I measure on or off stand?? Thanks, just dont want to ruin my new chain by being too loose.

• makKX250

Posted March 12, 2010 - 07:53 AM

You will ruin the chain and your bike by having the chain too tight.

• quailchaser

Posted March 12, 2010 - 07:05 PM

I heard 2 fingers width at the middle of the chain slider ?? Should I measure on or off stand?? Thanks, just dont want to ruin my new chain by being too loose.

Whose 2 fingers and which 2?:banana:

On the stand. 60~70 mm measured "between the chain and the swing arm at the rearof the chain slipper".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2006 kx100 wont hit powerband by kxkid110

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Will KX450F wheels fit my 04 kx250 by KawiRider98

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • 16 replies
Forums
Photo

Bad Ass Kx125 Build by Bh297

• Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

• Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

Easy question for KX250 gurus! by sandy450

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.