85 XR 600 won't start

2 replies to this topic
  • lumper

Posted May 26, 2003 - 02:43 PM

Boy this is hard, Asking for help from "Honda Guys". I ride a C'dale 2nd bike,my first was a 85 XR 600. I bought it from a friend who bought it NEW. I have had it about a year & half. It had a couple of broken trany gears in it when I got it. Those were fixed, along with new rings & a hone job every thing else was ok. after we (He) got it back together it was hard to start (6 or 7 kicks). but as time went on it got harder to start (12 to 15 kicks). we soon replaced the coil , helped for a couple of rides, but soon after it was hard to start again, so we replaced the CDI, not much change. SO I took it to a local shop & had them look at it, they did some work on the carbs (rejeted)and it run like a champ for a couple of rides & it got harder & harder to start. So I need to get this BEAST running to sell or just have for a spare.

Any help would be great.

lumper
#256 E440
FL tag :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AzMtnThumper

Posted May 27, 2003 - 07:18 PM

Wierd.... :) I suggest calling XR's only. I had a riding buddy that had an electrical gremlin (I don't know what kind of gremlin(s)you have)on his XR500 and they were very helpful. He reported good, accurate advise over the phone with no run around.

• acnmw

Posted May 28, 2003 - 11:47 AM

1)GOOD SPARK AND TIMING SET RIGHT GOTO 2
2)CARB AND AIR CLEANER CLEAN GOTO 3
3)CHECK THE VALVE CLEARNCE XR'S WILL TIGHTEN UP ON THE EXHUAST VALVES AND MAKE THEM HARD TO START. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.