2006 YZ450F clutch too stiff

2 replies to this topic
  • czechalien

Posted March 10, 2010 - 08:20 AM

Every 2006 YZ450F I tried has really stiff clutch to pull in, 2008 is really easy, where there any changes in those two years, also can I get new clutch that would be easier to pull in.
Can I only replace the springs ?

THX

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • meyermetal

Posted March 10, 2010 - 08:25 AM

The actuating arm may be longer on the newer bikes giving you more leverage.

I had an 06 and I never noticed the clutch being hard to pull. Maybe you need a new cable or lube the one you have.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2010 - 08:28 AM

Mine's fine, my son's is fine; I can pull either with two fingers, easily (and I'm old and feeble, remember). Unless you have some aftermarket springs in there, or a bad cable, it shouldn't be that hard. It is a big bike, after all.

Nevertheless, yes, there were differences between the '06 and the '07 and later models. The release arm was changed to reduce effort, but that also reduces lift at the pressure plate. In order to compensate for that, there is one less friction and steel plate, and the pressure plate and springs are different. The thickness of the steel plates also changed, so you would need a set of those as well.

It should be pointed out that because of these changes, the absolute capacity of the clutch is also reduced, and failures in the '07 and later bikes are more common than in the '06.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.