I can't believe it!!! It's GONE!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • mfraser_fraser

Posted May 26, 2003 - 06:30 AM

I am still shakin my head. After all the time and $$$$ I put into it to get it ready for this year. Plus waiting 8 months through recovery and winter, I get ONE, yes ONE ride this year. Now........B-BYE :D Well he got a good deal.
I will miss it, that is for sure. :D

But on the brighter side of the coin, I am buying an '03 model. Now com'on, you didn't think I would not have a back up plan :D.

I think the WR250 will not be enough bike for me. I would miss the power of the 426 too much and I know I would be kickin my butt. I am 6'2" and 200lbs and an intermediate rider. Long way to go to keep up with the pros

I am down now to WR450(I love the idea of an e-start), the YZ450f( it would be like my 426 without the stupid kick starting drill) or a YZ250f. :)

I don't race tracks very often. I am more into just recreationally ripping around on tracks. I will do the odd race now and then. I do like going into the woods and trails as well.

I like the light weight of the yz450 but I think that I would have to put a 12oz flywheel weight on it and soften the suspension to make it half way rideable in the trials. The downfall is the gearing is a little tight. I was also thinking that you could WR time the YZ450 to make it a little milder for trail riding. Anyone know of someone who has done this to a YZ450??

The WR450 my only concern with this is the weight and the ability to ride it on motocross tracks. I love the idea of having a "LIGHT" and that MAGIC, WONDERFUL, GOD SEND of a button!!! :D

Does anyone ride their WR450 on motocross tracks?
And if you ride in the trails, are you finding the weight and power tiring you out? Also how TECHNICAL are the trials you ride? I usually have to deal with A LOT of rocks, deep mud (1' - 1.5' deep), and some BIG A$$ hill climbs.
Also without making me search months of posts, what are some common problems with the WR450? and what are the free mods you have to do and what do they do. This bike would be the Canadian version.

What does the wr450 actually weigh?? I have heard everything from 230 - 260?

• Machster

Posted May 26, 2003 - 05:28 PM

You can make a WR almost like a YZ...but ya can't really do it the other way(not that you would want to. The major problem was the woodruff key snapping. Followed by the jetting, throttle stop, air box being too restrictive, and an exhaust that is more corked up than a bottle of Napa's finest wine. Take care of fixing those problems, and since yours is a Canadian version, it will run like a raped ape.You are also going to want to re-pring the suspension to your weight both front and back. I think you won't go wrong with the wr450. It is a great machine once ya get it dialed!

"Live well...ride free" :)

Posted May 26, 2003 - 09:09 PM

The ONLY reason I got a CRF was to ride MX. When I was playing on MX track the WR was fine. Yes it wasn't as forgiving and was heavy but it was ok. The CRF is great, more snap, better susp, lighter...all the things a MX bike should be. Now the WR is great for the plush ride, lights, and smooth power great for trails. I think its easier to make a YZ more trail friendly than get a WR track friendly when you get serious. The WR did not respond well when push beyond it's limits. I personally felt more confident my 1st time out on my CRF on a track than on my WR. I couldn't choose so CRF for MX and WR for trails and harescrambles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mfraser_fraser

Posted May 27, 2003 - 02:44 AM

Must be nice. Ahhh to have the funds :). I am going to the Yam dealer today. There is a yz450 I can try out, and I am going to see if I can try out the WR.

I know I can lighten the WR by dropping the exhaust, trashing the odometer, and putting in a lighter battery.

What the heck is a Woodruff Key? :D

It is going to come down to trying them out. The short and useless 1st gear on the YZ is another concern I have to trail riding. The wider gears on the wr are definitely more forgiving.

But I think that it is easier to make a YZ trailable than to make a WR trackable.

We'll see how it goes this afternoon.

I'll keep you posted.

• adamwagar

Posted May 28, 2003 - 12:56 PM

"What the heck is a Woodruff Key?"

Ah, it's so nice to read those words. The woodruff key alligns the crank and the flywheel. Early '03 WR450s were recalled because the woodruff key could possibly break. Causing the bike to lose timing and stop running. Don't worry, Yamaha took care of it and we all love our WRs. :)

• Kot

Posted May 28, 2003 - 02:51 PM

Someome suggested the nice link WR vs YZ. Pretty nice reading and will answer most of your questions.. Enjoy!

• adamwagar

Posted May 29, 2003 - 03:28 AM

Cool link KOT. :D :) :D :D

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.