cr500 starting problems

5 replies to this topic
  • cr500walpole

Posted March 09, 2010 - 12:41 PM

I just bought a 91 cr500. it has great compression, good blue spark, and a new filter. I can't get it kickstarted. If I bumpstart it, it fires as soon as the tire turns. even when its warmed up I have to bump it. any ideas? thanks.

• Big_G_Hall

Posted March 09, 2010 - 01:50 PM

I'm assuming you are using fresh gas and a new spark plug? First thing, pull out your carb, take it apart, and clean it out real well with carb cleaner (don't get any on the plastic pieces of gasket). Make sure the jets are both totally clean. There is a good chance you have a gummed up pilot jet.

• yota

Posted March 09, 2010 - 02:14 PM

sometimes the plastic pull up chokes stick inside and sometimes they break in half internally and you can't tell until you take it off. When putting it back on don't overtighten or the plastic will break.

my cold start drill:
1. with the gas on and the throttle open lean the bike way over until gas runs out the carb overflow tubes
2. pull out the choke and slowly push the kicker thru the stroke about 3 times to draw fumes into the crankcase
3. ease the kicker down with your foot until you feel the compression start to come off, (don't push down too far) and then let the kicker back up
4. kick thru the stroke like on a 4 stroke and mine fires right up.

when the bike is warm I only do items 3 and 4 above and it fires 1st or 2nd kick every time. this may sound complicated but it only takes a couple of seconds in reality.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Big_G_Hall

Posted March 09, 2010 - 02:34 PM

sometimes the plastic pull up chokes stick inside and sometimes they break in half internally and you can't tell until you take it off. When putting it back on don't overtighten or the plastic will break.

my cold start drill:
1. with the gas on and the throttle open lean the bike way over until gas runs out the carb overflow tubes
2. pull out the choke and slowly push the kicker thru the stroke about 3 times to draw fumes into the crankcase
3. ease the kicker down with your foot until you feel the compression start to come off, (don't push down too far) and then let the kicker back up
4. kick thru the stroke like on a 4 stroke and mine fires right up.

when the bike is warm I only do items 3 and 4 above and it fires 1st or 2nd kick every time. this may sound complicated but it only takes a couple of seconds in reality.

Good call, I do this too when my bike is cold, it works great! Clean the carb first, then try this. I'll bet it fires up. :banana:

• dubkatz

Posted March 09, 2010 - 04:30 PM

you might just need a bigger leg :banana:

• cr500walpole

Posted March 09, 2010 - 05:02 PM

pretty sure my leg is big enough (265lb 6'3"). good idea on checking the choke pull. I aready cleaned and inspected carb twice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1983 cr250r resto thread by Brendantherider

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

CR 250 Talon hubs/ wheels? by sandy450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Restoration CR125 2003 - From Chile by McGrau

• Hot  52 replies
Forums
Photo

1994 honda cr250 by goon_life427

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

99 Cr125r not running correctly by josephduckworth

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.