What spring rate for 08 WR450?

10 replies to this topic
  • moondoo

Posted March 09, 2010 - 06:00 AM

I just picked up an 08 WR450f that is mostly stock. The suspension is all stock and I would like to get stiffer springs front and rear. I weigh 200lbs and ride a wide variety of terrain. any ideas on what spring rates would work good?

• wondermuscle

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:55 AM

I just picked up an 08 WR450f that is mostly stock. The suspension is all stock and I would like to get stiffer springs front and rear. I weigh 200lbs and ride a wide variety of terrain. any ideas on what spring rates would work good?

I weigh 190lbs w/o gear and ride everywhere also, desert, baja, mountain singletrack, etc. I put .48kg/mm springs up front on my 2008 WR450 and had the front re-valved. The .48kg/mm were too stiff, I ended up pulling one of them out and putting a stock spring back in to give me an overall rate of .47kg/mm. It ended up being perfect! I don't race anymore due to injury but I still like to push it. The recommended rate for your weight is .48kg/mm. If you buy .48's and don't like it you can always pull one out and toss a stock rate spring back in to soften it up a bit.

I have a 5.7 in the rear and it is perfect.

Bret Leef does great work. He is the suspension guy for a large pro off-road team and does work for a select few when he has time. The guy is an old and grey type (but not really grey) who really knows his stuff. PM me for info.

Where are you located in Washington. I know of a guy up in Longview that does awesome stuff. He races WORCS and tests his own stuff. He also rides Yamahas.

Edited by wondermuscle, March 09, 2010 - 08:22 AM.

• coxr650l

Posted March 09, 2010 - 08:00 AM

I weigh 200 w/o gear and ride trails, etc. I put .48 up front and they are perfect. I put a 5.6 in the rear, but I think I should have used a 5.7. In order to get 100mm sag my static sag numbers are getting pretty small:bonk:

On a side note even with out a revlave the bike works alot better.

• tribalbc

Posted March 09, 2010 - 08:49 AM

I weigh 190lbs w/o gear and ride everywhere also, desert, baja, mountain singletrack, etc. I put .48kg/mm springs up front on my 2008 WR450 and had the front re-valved. The .48kg/mm were too stiff, I ended up pulling one of them out and putting a stock spring back in to give me an overall rate of .47kg/mm. It ended up being perfect! I don't race anymore due to injury but I still like to push it. The recommended rate for your weight is .48kg/mm. If you buy .48's and don't like it you can always pull one out and toss a stock rate spring back in to soften it up a bit.

I have a 5.7 in the rear and it is perfect.

Bret Leef does great work. He is the suspension guy for a large pro off-road team and does work for a select few when he has time. The guy is an old and grey type (but not really grey) who really knows his stuff. PM me for info.

Where are you located in Washington. I know of a guy up in Longview that does awesome stuff. He races WORCS and tests his own stuff. He also rides Yamahas.

Interesting that we weigh the same, but use different rates. I like the 0.48 up front and the stock 5.5 in the rear. I've also revalved my suspension for aggresive woods front and rear from Smart Performance. I guess I really like to ride with my weight over my front tire so I've always prefered the stiffer fork vs shock. I race woods Senior A and hit the MX track ocassionally with this setup. If I bottom anything really hard it's still in the front, even with the stiffer rate as compared to the rear.
What are your sag numbers in the rear? I have 25mm free sag with 100mm race.

• wondermuscle

Posted March 09, 2010 - 11:35 AM

Interesting that we weigh the same, but use different rates. I like the 0.48 up front and the stock 5.5 in the rear. I've also revalved my suspension for aggresive woods front and rear from Smart Performance. I guess I really like to ride with my weight over my front tire so I've always prefered the stiffer fork vs shock. I race woods Senior A and hit the MX track ocassionally with this setup. If I bottom anything really hard it's still in the front, even with the stiffer rate as compared to the rear.

Your valving might be a bit looser (less compression damping) than mine, thus I can get away with a lesser spring rate. I have the mid valve blow off mechanism removed completely and different pistons.

I run about 105mm in the rear and about 30mm of static (free) sag. I have barely any preload on the 5.7 rear spring, seams to be a bit better than when I had the stock preloaded some. It actually feels softer than the 5.5 with 110mm of sag. Might be the spring or it could be my brain that is fooling me.

I'm still trying to get it to work in desert/baja whoops but it is great for singletrack at the moment. I got my old steel WR to work everywhere, we shall see if I can get this bad boy to work in all conditions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wondermuscle

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:45 AM

What is your oil level at? 115mm?

• tribalbc

Posted March 11, 2010 - 10:00 AM

What is your oil level at? 115mm?

100mm Maxima Racing 5w

My base valve still has a spring, different one with preload as well as a completely different shim stack. Midvalve and rebound were changed swell.

• SteelRain

Posted April 07, 2010 - 04:21 PM

WIthout tryong the threadjack, Can I get an assisit here?

I just busted up a seal today, All of a sudden I am bottoming out everywhere, so why not get the right parts right now.

I would like to the leave the shock alone for now, but would gladly take some advice for work in the future.

Right now I really need some input on the forks for a 215lbs rider...

I ride pretty much all terrain and am thinking about some racing next season.

Thanks Guys!

• MrTVDNR

Posted April 07, 2010 - 06:41 PM

I'm 250 with front - .48 and rear - 6.7 rates...

• SteelRain

Posted April 07, 2010 - 07:45 PM

I'm 250 with front - .48 and rear - 6.7 rates...

Thanks!

• JDLowrance

Posted April 08, 2010 - 05:34 AM

I'm 250 as well and am running 0.50s up front and a 6.3 in the rear.

For a 215lber I think you'll find that 0.48s and a 5.8 should do you. 120mm on the fork oil level.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.