Oil Filters

31 replies to this topic
  • moonlander

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

I've always run Fram oil filters in my truck (2.3 4cyl Ranger). Now they have 3 different types xtra guard, tough guard and extended guard.

A) Should I be running a different oil filter?
:banana: If so, what oil filter?
C) What is the difference between the filters Fram has?

I usually just buy a fram because I can get one anywhere.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 87XR250R

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

Get your filters at Napa. Fram filters are junk, card board on the inside, and they even omit check valves that the small block ford V8s need.

• moonlander

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:20 PM

Last time I asked Napa if they had a fram they said theirs were the same...

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

any brand but Fram... do a google search and you'll find plenty of pages explaining why.

Napa filters are made by Wix, its a great way to get a Wix filter for a couple bucks less.

• fivepointnine

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:22 AM

walmart supertech filters are bosch, supposed to be pretty good.........I am switching to Amsoil eurofilter for the Saab though (extra oil capacity)

• mxwilly

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

i know what everyone says about FRAM, but... I've used FRAM almost exclusively on my 97 Dakota... 382000kms and the motor is still strong... I dunno, sometimes i think its just like our bikes.... keep the oil & filter fresh and you'll save on major problems, regardless of type.

That being said, the filter for our Jeep Liberty Diesel isn't stock anywhere here, so I have to order it ahead. Since I'm doing that, I order NAPA Gold for it. I can definitely tell they are a higher quality than FRAM. Nothing but the best for the wife's Jeep :banana:

oh.. and I just use the regular Tough Guard Fram Filter... nothing fancy at all.

• ubu

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

I've never had problems with Fram. Plus, they put the grippy stuff on them.:banana: It actually is kinda nice for installing the filter.
But for my Ranger with the 2.3L, I just grab the Motorcraft FL-910 filter and Motorcraft 5w20 oil they sell at Wal-Mart. Ford stuff on a Ford is simple enough for me.

• seth240

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

go with wix filters, much better quality

• whyfly

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Change the oil and filter regularly and don't sweat it.

• CRFboy

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

Purolator PureOne filters are highly rated too, the whole filter is even coated in a non-slip texture. They're kinda ugly looking with that piss yellow paint, but they work and thats all that matters lol.

• Fracture

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

Up here in Canada I've been told a good filter for the price is a NAPA Gold, I think it's a re-badged Wix?

Fram Tough-Guard (grey) are supposedly decent filters too. Silicone anti-drainback valve, better media, etc.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

WIX or Purolator is top notch.

• 642MX

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

I've used Fram for years on my vehicles and have had no issues... Recently, I started using K&N oil filters on everything. They have a nut welded on the end of the filter that makes changing them pretty easy!

• R.D.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

Fram=junk. Wix is the good stuff and Napa Gold are rebadged Wix.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

considering fram aren't really any cheaper than good brands of filters (especially if you buy the good brands in generic packages, like supertech or napa) I really don't know why anyone would risk running fram.

Hell even if they were way cheaper, the risk just isn't worth it to me.

• Chickenhauler

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

Up here in Canada I've been told a good filter for the price is a NAPA Gold, I think it's a re-badged Wix?

Yes, the Napa Gold line is made by WIX.

Even their "Silver" line is a good filter (at least better than Fram).

While Fram is OK (they do meet or exceed mfgr's specs), there is better filters out there....many better filters out there, to be honest.

A good unbiased scientific study and comparison of oil filters by an engineering student http://people.msoe.e...ilterstudy.html

• condor74

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

Fram is Junk...filter material comes apart...I work in a shop and have seen several diesel engines turned to junk with them...We wont honor your warranty if it has a Fram filter.
We have found on our cummins pick up truck motors that the filter material is coming apart and plugging up the oil jets used to cool the cylinders..
There are quality filters out there but with out a doubt when it comes to being the absolute best filters available go with either a Fleetguard or a Baldwin. Alot of the filters that the OEM sells are re branded filters..for instance The Mopar filter that is sold at the Dodge dealership for use in your Cummins diesel equipped pick up is a re branded Fleetguard.

• terrasmak

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

Anything but Fram, i run the cheapist in Walmart brand on my 350Z and everything i own.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

Fram is Junk...filter material comes apart...I work in a shop and have seen several diesel engines turned to junk with them...We wont honor your warranty if it has a Fram filter.
We have found on our cummins pick up truck motors that the filter material is coming apart and plugging up the oil jets used to cool the cylinders..
There are quality filters out there but with out a doubt when it comes to being the absolute best filters available go with either a Fleetguard or a Baldwin. Alot of the filters that the OEM sells are re branded filters..for instance The Mopar filter that is sold at the Dodge dealership for use in your Cummins diesel equipped pick up is a re branded Fleetguard.

a dealership? If so I find it kinda hard to believe that you're able to deny warranty coverage for using fram filters... as CH mentioned they do (barely) meet the minimum standards of the OEM manufacturers.

Personally I won't settle for the minimum standards of anything, but if they meet the standards of the car maker, they have no right to deny warranty service.

• notime

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

Yes, the Napa Gold line is made by WIX.

Even their "Silver" line is a good filter (at least better than Fram).

While Fram is OK (they do meet or exceed mfgr's specs), there is better filters out there....many better filters out there, to be honest.

A good unbiased scientific study and comparison of oil filters by an engineering student http://people.msoe.e...ilterstudy.html

I did a similar non-scientific study on my own on used filters noting construction and element. What I noticed was at the intervals I changed oil, there was no obvious benefit to one brand over the other. None of the filters appeared to have any defects and did their job as designed. For my self, price is the bottom line for the more frequent changes. If was going longer intervals I might get more concerned.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.