Radiator protection

15 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted March 08, 2010 - 04:59 PM

The radiators on my 08 are paper thin:bonk: I think they made them thinner starting in either 07 or 08. I like the thought of cages but they don't protect the front of the radiator like the ones from Devol or Flatland racing. What are you guys with 07 and up paper thin radiators running?

• ears2244

Posted March 08, 2010 - 05:02 PM

I had an 08 WR450 and put on moose braces ($80) and msr guards ($30) and it worked great. Very strong and had no problems after. Costs abit at first but better than replacing the radiator.

• SparksXR426

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:31 PM

I have Devols but these guys make a nicer product.

http://scorpionracin...id=27&Itemid=26

• Jim813

Posted March 08, 2010 - 08:36 PM

I'm using the Works Connection cages. They fit excellent( aside from having to trim the radiator louvers) and add much needed stability to the radiators. No front protection could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preferences. They are very well protected from side impacts, and the price is fairly reasonable as well.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 08, 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thanks guys my left radiator got tweaked so I am gonna send it off to Mylers then buy something to protect them. Sounds like the cages are the way to go.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 08, 2010 - 08:56 PM

I am gonna get these guys seem to be the best of both worlds cages and guards.
http://shop.thumpert...er_radguard.htm

• Fabulous

Posted March 09, 2010 - 08:57 AM

I have Scorpion Racing rad guards on my 08, and they are great! Very burley, and yet light, and they fit perfect. I had Devols on my YZ125, and I think these Scorpion ones are better. They are a Canadian company, and shipping to Canada/ US is free...check them out!

• sootgrinder

Posted March 09, 2010 - 03:40 PM

Moose cages plus MSR front guards. Very stout. I haven't had any problems and I could tear up and anvil with a rotten banana.

Soot

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 09, 2010 - 04:11 PM

Thanks guys my left radiator got tweaked so I am gonna send it off to Mylers then buy something to protect them. Sounds like the cages are the way to go.

How bad is it tweaked? I twisted mine slightly on the 2nd ride (I was waiting for my WC radiator cages to show up, go figure) and took my bike to a local radiator repair shop to get it fixed. He came out and looked at it and said "aw hell, just grab ahold and straighten that sucker out." I gave him this "***, are you serious?" look and he assured me it wouldn't leak if I didn't go completely nuts. Whaddya know, he was right and didn't charge me a dime. Maybe you'll have the same luck.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 09, 2010 - 04:19 PM

How bad is it tweaked? I twisted mine slightly on the 2nd ride (I was waiting for my WC radiator cages to show up, go figure) and took my bike to a local radiator repair shop to get it fixed. He came out and looked at it and said "aw hell, just grab ahold and straighten that sucker out." I gave him this "***, are you serious?" look and he assured me it wouldn't leak if I didn't go completely nuts. Whaddya know, he was right and didn't charge me a dime. Maybe you'll have the same luck.

Ya I already did that the first time I tweaked it which was pretty bad my bike hit a big ole nub from a branch on a tree that was layed along the trail in about 3rd gear. . .needless to say I tweaked it back but now it is slightly tweaked again and I assume needs some welding.

Thanks for the advice though.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 09, 2010 - 04:29 PM

Ya I already did that the first time I tweaked it which was pretty bad my bike hit a big ole nub from a branch on a tree that was layed along the trail in about 3rd gear. . .needless to say I tweaked it back but now it is slightly tweaked again and I assume needs some welding.

Thanks for the advice though.

I smell what you're stepping in. So far so good with the WC cages on my 06, I haven't had any really hard spills though (but the spill that bent the one wasn't very hard either).

• Zora

Posted March 09, 2010 - 05:17 PM

I have had the Flatland braces on a couple bikes. They are bulletproof and the installation was easy.

Steve

• FinchFan194

Posted March 09, 2010 - 06:14 PM

I smell what you're stepping in. So far so good with the WC cages on my 06, I haven't had any really hard spills though (but the spill that bent the one wasn't very hard either).

Yep and the radiators on the 08's are thinner than the 06's:banghead: I know they are trying to save weight and all but these radiators look like they came off a 250f!:banana:

• tek_01

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:49 PM

I have the unabiker on my 05. They are good in regards to protection but the fit wasn't 100%... They needed a bit of persuasion to fit but nothing too drastic

• Stroker06

Posted March 09, 2010 - 09:38 PM

I just installed the MSR hp braces on my '07. They went on without much trouble. Wish I could have used the stock shroud bolts on the lower hole though. (Looks better than supplied ones in kit).
Got to test them out when I went down in the sand whoops, and on a hardpack trail. Not even budging a bit. There is no front coverage other than stock plastic louvers, but so far I haven't had a need for more.
Oh yeah, forgot the sand whoops was a 4th gear loop out and the bike endo'd about 3 times and came down on its side against a rock.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:46 AM

The radiators on my 08 are paper thin:bonk: I think they made them thinner starting in either 07 or 08. I like the thought of cages but they don't protect the front of the radiator like the ones from Devol or Flatland racing. What are you guys with 07 and up paper thin radiators running?

I have the Moose braces, very happy with them, well built ! Here's a few pics and some info:

http://www.thumperta...highlight=moose

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.