BEST GEAR FOR WHEELIES???

I'VE BEEN PRACTICING WHEELIES IN THE STREET ON MY NEW 01 426, AND SEEMS LIKE EVERY GEAR WILL PICK UP ON YOU! WHAT GEAR DO YOU GUYS START WHEELIES OFF ON??? I WAS THINKING MAYBE 3RD, BUT I WOULD PROBABLY BE DOING 40-50MPH BY THAT TIME! WOULD SUCK TO LOOP AT THAT SPEED...LOL! BY THE WAY, HAS ANYONE CLOCKED MPH OF THEIR 426???

I like to pull it up in 2 gear and shift them, I am still trying to get use to the 426 though. My XR 650 , I can pull it up in 3 gear and shift into 4 gear in the air and ride it till I'm tired. I can do a mile easy on my XR but the 426 is to rappy for that, the XR is heavy and that helps stabalize your balance point better, plus it has twice the engine braking of the 426 which is a better life saver when you try to roll it over on you.

Jason

I sent you some mpeg's

Salut!

What gear I use to stand the beast up? any gear except 1st. I went on a trail ride in september with a guy who is the "wheelie king" of his area from what I was told, he was pissed to see me come to his side at 65-70 mph, put my 426 straight up and pull away from his wheelying XR650.

Top speed with stock gearing is a little over 85.

On the ice I've been clocked at 97mph on a 1/2 mi oval track.

Later

Being a wheelie fanatic, I took my 01 426 out for the first time yesterday. This beast will wheelie in any gear including 5th. What a machine!!! You can power it up in 5th on a long gentle uphill and keep the throttle steady. I love this bike!!!

• 1 year later...

Is it easiest to bring the wheel up from a standing position with your weight pulled back, or seated? I have 2 friends that wheelie well and one does them standing and one does them seated. Which one is better / easier / safer? I have only had my 426 for 2 weeks so I cant do either, but maybe I could get some tips on a good starting point.

5th gear WFO if your on the street :D

Third then shift, this brings you into a more controlled wheelie and allows you to menuver the bike through the gears.

Practice makes perfect, but I am not as good as I used to be, My Fat Ass keeps lidig off the back of the seat

Great for the hemi's ?

[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

I love 4th

65 and accelerating on 1 wheel is awesome feeling! ?

I used to have an xr250 that was a wheelie machine but only at 25-35mph!

Now this beast is awsome and comfy at 60mph on one wheel.

U would be surprised how fast 1/4mile goes by! :D

13/49 sprockts 5th gear! :D

I think the best wheelie machine ever made was my XL600. I could wheelie that thing for miles and miles. On that bike a little speed shift to second and its wheelie city. I dont have the confidence in the YZ for some reason doing the same thing. Its probably the lack of flywheel on the YZ that hairs me out.

Top Speed: Oregon Dunes with a GPS on my handlebar stock gearing and an 8 paddle tire I maxed out at just under 80 against the wind and just under 82mph with the wind! When I let off the gas it was a squirrel, but a bunch of fun slithering to a stop. ? The roost was unreal too! :D:D

Glenn, I maxed out my 426 near Horse Falls, ( had no idea if I was going 60 or 80, but I know I was flying. Funny thing about wet Oregon sand is better than works nissins for stopping. All I had to do was let off the gas and the back end wanted to pass the front.. Fun stuff. As for wheelies, any gear any time, standing, sitting, sleeping.. 426's and KTM 520's must be a gift from the great wheelie god. The late Domoko's however, will always be King.

Well, it sounds like lots of you are better than me. My brother-in-law's son calls it "back wheelin'" I'm wheelin' in 2nd and 3rd but mainly on uphills. I'm not really finding any comfort zone at the balance point. I've found it for breif moments...I'd say I've gotten up to about a block long a few times.

Any advice about how to get to the balance point and learn how to keep it there? Sometimes with good traction on a nice medium hill (dirt) I begin to feel 'the sweet spot' but ... oh well you get the point.

How many of you who claim to 'do it in your sleep' have looped out learning how??

It is addicting though...

Ride On,

J

If you think about this question real hard you can come up with some real good answers

Examples

1: Best Gear for Wheelies ?

A1: Steel Butt Gaurd for newbies only

A2: knee Pads for those Oh gad I missed a shift

A3: Asbestos Gloves for those Hey watch me wave

and so on ?

I don't know where you guy's are coming up with 80+ mph with stock gearing. The YZ does roughly 75 on a flat surface at redline. Dirtbike did a test with the bigger fourstrokes and tested the top speed with a calibrated radar gun. The WR would get well over 80 but the YZ needs different gearing.

I was lookin' at the mph on the GPS. Unless it was way off, my stock (motor and geared) YZ should be worth a bit more than the 80mph I got in dry sand with a paddle on some harder surface. Just my .02, but I saw what I saw.

GLEN ?