2010 YZF 450, light & nervous frontend...

8 replies to this topic
  • Swiss_Dirtrider

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hi everybody

I was a longtime 250F Kawasaki rider and changed to 450 now. I buyed the new Yami 450 and i am very happy with it!

My only problem i have is in deep, muddy and rutted conditions. I was pretty good in that kind of tracks with my 250F, it was my favourite terrain. But now with the 450 the front end feels so light and nervous. The frontwheel takes and follows every rut, and the bar pulls in every direction. I had 2 crashes because i wasn't prepared that the bike will pull left on a 3rd gear rutted straightaway...

Maybee it's just me and i have to become more used to the completely new bike (20+ hours yet).
But maybee this is already a known issue with this specific new bike and someone knows a workaround i can try.
I've tried different fork positions (more down in the tripleclamps), it was better, but not much.

I was thinking of a steering stabilizer, but want to try out other things first, if its riding technique or bike-mod...

Any Ideas?

Thanks a lot!
Regards
Oliver

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2010 - 10:41 AM

A Scotts (or its Ohlins parent) damper is a great thing to have in any case.

That said, check your race, or rider mounted sag. It should be between 98-105 somewhere. If it's less than 105, try increasing it a little. This will increase the head angle a little and help with the twitchy feel.

• motojase316

Posted March 10, 2010 - 03:20 AM

Posted Image

I had the same light nervous feeling at the start too. I have changed spring rate on the shock to balance out the bike for my weight. I also mounted up a GPR V4 steering stabilizer.
All my problems are over. I have ran A scotts damper for over 10 years and now switched to the GPR V4 and I am converted, I am sure others will disagree however I find it a better unit.

• YamaLink

Posted March 10, 2010 - 05:36 AM

Whoa, that GPR is very very nice looking! Great product from a great company.

+1 on what Grayracer posted.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2milehigh

Posted March 10, 2010 - 09:17 AM

I initially felt the same thing when the bike was new to me. Setting the rear sag at 108mm first and then raising the forks 4mm in the triples helped give the bike a more settled feel. As I've gotten more used to the bike I put the sag closer to stock, at 102mm right now but plan on leaving the forks raised until the WER stabilizer mount is available. The bike also seems to like having the front brake dragged when the front gets twitchy. I'm not an expert at setup but these are the things that have helped me. Good luck!

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2010 - 09:31 AM

Setting the rear sag at 108mm first and then raising the forks 4mm in the triples helped give the bike a more settled feel.

You understand that this is the same as setting the sag at 104mm and leaving the forks flush, right?

• 2milehigh

Posted March 10, 2010 - 10:57 AM

Wouldn't raising the forks result in a shorter wheelbase?

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2010 - 11:08 AM

Yes, but not enough to notice. At a 27 degree angle, 4mm would probably only result in a 1mm loss of wheelbase.

However, raising the forks makes the head angle steeper, which works in opposition to increasing the sag, which makes it shallower. These changes are much more noticeable than a shift in wheelbase.

• wondermuscle

Posted March 10, 2010 - 01:52 PM

Try adding 3 clicks of rebound in the front. It typically helps keep the front end planted in rocks but it might help with bouncing around from rut to rut. Something to try before you drop a bunch of cash on a stabilizer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.