09 yz450 question

10 replies to this topic
  • WR-man

Posted March 07, 2010 - 08:45 PM

hi im new to this form and would like to say hi
I just bought a new yz450 2009 and i haven't broke it in yet. i started it up and it was back firing when i let off the throttle at 1/4 of a throttle
my question is? is that common or is there something wrong . thanks

• locomike

Posted March 08, 2010 - 03:07 AM

The pilot jet is probably a little lean, since the weather is a little cooler now than the conditions it is jetted for. Try a larger pilot jet.

• dvn

Posted March 08, 2010 - 03:56 AM

The pilot jet is probably a little lean, since the weather is a little cooler now than the conditions it is jetted for. Try a larger pilot jet.

This is most likely true. You can try adjusting the fuel screw first but don't make any adjustments until the bike is fully warmed up.

• davbrucas

Posted March 09, 2010 - 05:36 AM

Yep...turn the fuel screw all the way in counting the number of full turns...then turn it back out past where it was but no further than 3 full turns to try to make the backfiring go away...if it still does it after this adjustment, then go to a one size bigger pilot jet. I am near sea-level and didnt need a larger pilot jet...just some fuel screw adjustments. You should buy an aftermarket fuel screw to make the adjustments easier.

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2010 - 08:13 AM

Be sure that you check for exhaust leaks at both ends of the header before playing with the screw. If the backfire is caused by a leak, you'll end up with a bike that idles poorly, fouls plugs, starts hard, and dies when the throttle is chopped. Just sayin'.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • anthony72

Posted March 10, 2010 - 12:47 PM

I have the exact problem. I have an 08 stock tires and eavrything idle jet all the way. Iv had it a month and it barly ran decent. Don't ride it like that! Iv had mine a week with the jet worked and it's awsom. Easy

• dvn

Posted March 10, 2010 - 05:29 PM

I have the exact problem. I have an 08 stock tires and eavrything idle jet all the way. Iv had it a month and it barly ran decent. Don't ride it like that! Iv had mine a week with the jet worked and it's awsom. Easy

huh??? :banana:

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 10, 2010 - 05:39 PM

huh??? :banana:

:lol:That's exactly what I was thinking.

• czechalien

Posted March 10, 2010 - 06:49 PM

Be sure that you check for exhaust leaks at both ends of the header before playing with the screw. If the backfire is caused by a leak, you'll end up with a bike that idles poorly, fouls plugs, starts hard, and dies when the throttle is chopped. Just sayin'.

How do you check it? is it by plugging the end of the exhaust?
If so what should I look for? will the bike stop running?

THX

• WR-man

Posted March 10, 2010 - 08:42 PM

thanks for the help ill keep you posted i just bought a fuel mix screw today and ill ride tomorrow:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2010 - 09:20 PM

How do you check it? is it by plugging the end of the exhaust?
If so what should I look for? will the bike stop running?

THX

You can do it that way, but get it running first. Any leaks should be obvious. But you can also start by seeing if the clamps and flange plate are tight.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.