my first 4 stroke

4 replies to this topic
  • sogood4905

Posted March 07, 2010 - 08:10 PM

i just got my first 4 stroke and have only been able to start it twice .it is a 2001 wr 426 does any one have any advice

• Dee Perry

Posted March 07, 2010 - 08:26 PM

Search on this site and you will find LOTS of good tips. Once you get it down it is a piece of cake. I love mine! Took me a couple of tries but once you get the hang of it---cake walk.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRFMike_5

Posted March 07, 2010 - 11:15 PM

i would suggest youtube it, reading will help kinda im more of an observant person though I need to see how it gets done before I can get it down

• Ryan426

Posted March 08, 2010 - 02:36 PM

Cold starting: Yamaha says to twist the throttle twice to prime the carb, but I pull in the decompression lever, kick it through four or five times, find TDC, let the decompressor go, then return the kicker to the very top—this is very important—before kicking hard with no throttle. I’ll use the choke if I can reach it, but that’s not always possible with big off-road gastanks.

Starting a flooded bike: The big key with all four-strokes is not to panic. If you pick the bike up and start flailing away, you’re going to cause problems. I’ll take an extra second to find neutral, kick it two or three times with the hotstart and decompressor engaged, release both, find TDC and kick. It seems a little bit longer, but it almost always starts quicker than panicking. Again, no throttle!

Cold Start is the black knob on the left side of your carb and red is the hot start.

• sogood4905

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:47 PM

Thank you guys.I'll give it a try.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.