yzf's for woods work/HS?

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 16, 2000 - 03:40 PM

I ride mostly medium to tight woods in WA State and plan on getting started racing hare scrambles as well. With some woods-mods done on a yzf (sprocket change, flywheel weight, and spark arrestor)how different is it from riding a WR with the yzf seat and tank combo?

By the time I outfitted the WR with the tank-seat combo and new YZF plastic (number plate and mx rear fender) it would cost a pretty penny more than the yzf. Is the WR tranny and 18" rear wheel that big of a benefit for what Im looking at?

Now the 426f vs the 250f, that's another question :)!

• mikeolichney

Posted December 16, 2000 - 08:14 PM

I had a 99 YZF and now an 01 YZF that I use for HS. The 99 had stock gearing, a steering damper, an additional gallon tank, and a heavier flywheel. Our HS is private land so no SA is required. I thought the YZF was awesome for HS; I was coming off a 98 KX. Sometimes the dead engine start causes me embarassment, the KX was a quicker starter. The terrain here (CO) is more open than where you live. Our HS course is basically a very long motocross track. If yours is super tight then the WR could be an advantage. It might get pretty weird if you gear the YZ too much, the ratios will feel very close together. Try two teeth on the rear or maybe one on the front. I wouldn't stress about the 18" wheel, I have never flatted the 19". The 19" is lighter, and it is unsprung weight. I know alot of people feel the 18" provides better traction, but I think the 19" is just fine. Also, I just saw a blurb in the January issue of Dirt Dider for an $85 YZ seat that is a lb less, see page 174. This could cut some cost off the WR cost. But why not just try the YZ and see how it does?

My 01 has yet to finish a HS due to plug fouling, but it gets another chance tomorrow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 20, 2000 - 03:54 PM

What's the general mileage you can expect from the yzf's 2.1 gal tank?

• Hick

Posted December 21, 2000 - 08:16 AM

Originally posted by DougB:
Is the WR tranny and 18" rear wheel that big of a benefit for what Im looking at?

I agree with Mike, the 18” would be nice but the 19” is certainly no deal killer. I run a 120/90-19 Dunlop Desert A/T 739. It’s heavy but very flat resistant and the extra size helps traction.

I read somewhere that Hawkins runs a smaller rear to help turning it tight spots, but I think on an 18 inch rear (prob 100/100-18 or 110/100-18). I also read that he bases his race bikes on the WR because of the gears, but I don’t suppose eastern woods and western woods are the same thing…

The main difference is of course the WR (wide ratio). First and second are much lower than a YZ (like 30% & 15% respectively). You need to decide if you can live with the taller YZ gears.

Originally posted by Fillerup:
What's the general mileage you can expect from the yzf's 2.1 gal tank?

The off-road events I run generally average about 30 mph and I get almost 30 mpg, probably never less than 25.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.