Difference 06 to 09 header - pics

12 replies to this topic
  • crf450319

Posted March 07, 2010 - 05:52 PM

I've got an '06 header to run on my '09, thought it might be worth posting the pics of the two OEM headers. The 06 header is a little less than an inch and 5/8's, the 09 header is a little better than an inch and 3/4.

Below the pics of the headers is a pic of my '09, I've got everything greased and am starting to put it back together.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 08, 2010 - 02:35 AM

That's exactly what my bike looks like. :banana: Just waiting on some parts so I can put it back together. Can you measure the overall length of the 06 and 09 headers.:lol: You'll need a soft (flexible) tape measure . Thanks.

• crf450319

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:18 AM

The headers were the same legnth, when I took the pics they were lined up and at the time I noticed the similarity in legnth. There might be a 3/16" difference at the most, if any difference at all.

What parts are you waiting on ?

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 08, 2010 - 02:49 PM

I'm waiting on updated steering stem bearing with seal, 06 header, Radiator cages, NFPR needle, etc.. I like to completely go through all my new bikes and become familiar with them and also fix some things the guys mess up at the dealership:bonk:

• crf450319

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:15 PM

I've got the bike almost all put back together, here's what I've done so far :

'06 stock header
'06 Pro Circuit T4 slip-on
'06 CDI
NFPR needle, 165 main jet
Boyesen accel. pump cover

Here's what I'm waiting on :

280mm front brake rotor
xw-ring chain & Ironman sprockets
Used plastic set & seat - I'll put the new stuff away.

Wondering about gearing though, I might ride it with the stock 13/49 then decide what I want to do. Which means waiting on ordering the Ironman stuff. I greased the steering stem bearings the other day, noticed that the seal has a double edge on it - what does the updated bearing/seal have that's different ?

• cowboyona426

Posted March 10, 2010 - 07:43 AM

Are you an MX guy or a woods rider? For woods you'll want a flywheel weight and lower gearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted March 10, 2010 - 09:07 AM

I'm an MX guy, might ride in the woods once every two or three years. I was wondering about putting a little bigger fly wheel weight on. Not something that would make a drastic difference, but I'm guessing there might be something (weight wise) that may give me a little better performance - even on an MX track. I've got to do a little more research on that though..

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 10, 2010 - 05:16 PM

I'm an MX guy, might ride in the woods once every two or three years. I was wondering about putting a little bigger fly wheel weight on. Not something that would make a drastic difference, but I'm guessing there might be something (weight wise) that may give me a little better performance - even on an MX track. I've got to do a little more research on that though..

DIDO:thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm not really sure about the updated bearing, it was what I was told.
Things I've got so far:
06 Header
Modded stock muffler
06 Cam
50 tooth rear (cheap steel one)
RK520EXW Gold (Do I need a spacer)
Extra set of plastics
Moose radiator cages
Works Connection skid plate

First I'm going to ride it stock to get a base line and then I'll start adding and changing parts to find out what does what. It's a new bike so I need to dail it in, Lots of testing:ride:

• 4Ds

Posted March 12, 2010 - 06:04 PM

[quote name='crf450319'] The 06 header is a little less than an inch and 5/8's, the 09 header is a little better than an inch and 3/4.[QUOTE]

So why put the smaller header on? Wouldnt the newer 09 thats larger flow better and therefore perform better?:banana:

• FinchFan194

Posted March 12, 2010 - 07:05 PM

[quote name='4Ds'][quote name='crf450319'] The 06 header is a little less than an inch and 5/8's, the 09 header is a little better than an inch and 3/4.[QUOTE]

So why put the smaller header on? Wouldnt the newer 09 thats larger flow better and therefore perform better?:banana:[/QUOTE]

No the bigger header flows too well once you get rid of the restricted shorty muffler. It takes away from the bottom end so a little bit smaller diameter will give you back the bottom end that is desired for rocketing out of corners.

• 4Ds

Posted March 12, 2010 - 10:12 PM

I had an 06 and it was an awesome bike, had to sell it though and havent had a bike for a couple years. Did you have an 06 and Is the 09 much different or better?

• husqy360

Posted March 13, 2010 - 02:34 AM

[quote name='FinchFan394'][quote name='4Ds'][quote name='crf450319'] The 06 header is a little less than an inch and 5/8's, the 09 header is a little better than an inch and 3/4.

No the bigger header flows too well once you get rid of the restricted shorty muffler. It takes away from the bottom end so a little bit smaller diameter will give you back the bottom end that is desired for rocketing out of corners.[/QUOTE]

sound simple, good to know why they actully change some stuff.:banana:

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 13, 2010 - 03:10 AM

[quote name='FinchFan394'][quote name='4Ds'][quote name='crf450319'] The 06 header is a little less than an inch and 5/8's, the 09 header is a little better than an inch and 3/4.

No the bigger header flows too well once you get rid of the restricted shorty muffler. It takes away from the bottom end so a little bit smaller diameter will give you back the bottom end that is desired for rocketing out of corners.[/QUOTE]

Just call me the rocketman.:banana: That's what I would like to happen, now all I need is my bike back together and some nice weather so I can start testing.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.