Transmission issues on 2008

7 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted March 06, 2010 - 09:08 PM

I have a 2008 YZ450f with 121.7 hours. I change the oil every 6-8 hours with Amsoil MCF (10w-40), and use a Scotts stainless oil filter which I clean every time. I have never noticed an abnormal amount of metal shavings or parts in the oil filter. I'm not extremely hard on my bike and I don't believe I have any abnormal habits while riding that would lead to a trans issue or even a possible future failure.

I noticed a few months ago that when shifting from third gear to fourth gear the trans popped out of gear temporarily, then went back in. Then about a month ago I noticed the bike pop out of gear again once or twice. I did a desert race two weeks ago and it popped out of gear twice, and finally earlier today at a GP the bike popped out of gear 2-3 times.

It sounds like I have a bent shift fork which could be causing the splines on the transmission gears to wear abnormally( which would explain while the problem is getting worse). Does this sound like a descent assumption?

Also, this may be a good time to look into putting WR gears into my bike. If anyone has any feedback that would be helpful. ( I've searched through various threads about this topic, but feel free to input:thumbsup:)

One more thing...If anyone has a good recommendation as to where to buy parts please feel free to post as well.

Edited by jim513, March 07, 2010 - 09:11 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2010 - 01:38 PM

It sounds like I have a bent shift fork which could be causing the splines on the transmission gears to wear abnormally( which would explain while the problem is getting worse). Does this sound like a descent assumption?

It's usually the other way around. The splines have nothing to do with it, though. The locking lugs on the sides of the third and fourth pinions become worn so that they don't hold in the way they are supposed to. That progresses to the point where they push away from each other, and finally to the point where they force the fork to bend far enough to let them jump from one lug to the next. Eventually, the fork is bent too.

• Jim813

Posted March 07, 2010 - 02:29 PM

It's usually the other way around. The splines have nothing to do with it, though. The locking lugs on the sides of the third and fourth pinions become worn so that they don't hold in the way they are supposed to. That progresses to the point where they push away from each other, and finally to the point where they force the fork to bend far enough to let them jump from one lug to the next. Eventually, the fork is bent too.

I wasn't quite sure, so thanks for clearing that up:thumbsup:

Is there anything abnormal that would cause this, or is this an issue that just can happen over time?

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2010 - 02:37 PM

IMO, the two things that would most likely lead to this are simple accumulated time, or "lazy" shifting. That is, failing to shift from one gear to the next quickly and cleanly, allowing the gears to clash briefly as they engage, and/or loading the gears before they are quite fully engaged.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted March 11, 2010 - 11:27 PM

This was the issue, but it was less severe than I thought it would be. The locking lugs were just starting to round, and I mean just barely. The shift fork wasn't bent severely if at all ), but was just beginning to wear unevenly on the area where it contacts the gears.

Thanks for the help.:banana:

By the way, (without a discount ) I found cheapcycleparts.com to be the cheapest place for OEM parts.

• Reedus

Posted March 12, 2010 - 04:03 AM

Cycle parts warehouse is cheaper than cheap cycle parts, BUT go with the TT store. They will price match any reputable store.

• Jim813

Posted March 13, 2010 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to but WR gears in my bike, but 3-4 of the gears are on national back order, and no one seems to know how long:banghead: I was informed that Monday they would know more about the situation with the back order. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Jim813

Posted March 17, 2010 - 08:26 PM

I found out today that all the gears but the 2nd pinion will be available next week. The 2nd pinion is expected to come off back order April 1st, which will get me all the parts around the second week of April.

To anyone who has done the WR tranny swap, is it worth a month of no riding?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.