BRP High Altitude Jetting [Colorado]

2 replies to this topic
  • MtnDoo

Posted May 24, 2003 - 08:09 PM

I have a 2000 XR650r and we recently moved to the mountains.
Riding altitudes here are from 8500-12500 typically.

When we get up to the higher altitudes the BRP doesn't want to start, and takes a rolling gear engagement to get it going. I'm suspecting it's way rich.

Any suggestions on jetting?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted May 25, 2003 - 06:09 PM

Hi. I also ride a lot in Colorado between 8000' and 13000'.
I use the following jetting on my XR650R for those altitudes: 155 main jet, jet needle at 3rd clip
position (middle setting), stock pilot jet, stock air screw setting.
This jetting setup works only if your bike has been properly "un-corked". If the bike is not un-corked, or is un-corked incorrectly, the settings I give won't work. Make sure the bike is properly un-corked, and use the settings I show, and the bike will run very well at high altitude.
My bike usually starts on the second kick when warm, at the top of engineer's pass (around 13000'), so I know these settings work well. Have fun!
L.L. Buena Vista, Co.

• MtnDoo

Posted May 30, 2003 - 08:16 PM

Hi LL,

Thanks for the information. Yes, my bike has been un-corked with the OEM components. What exactly is the stock air-screw setting?

BTW...I live in Silverthorne and ride the BuenaVista area from time to time. My email address is

Last weekend...

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.