2010 shock spring compatibility

12 replies to this topic
  • andy250

Posted March 06, 2010 - 06:23 AM

Just got rid of my 09 crf450, and brought home a new 2010 yz450 last night!

I'm starting to dig into what needs to be done to set this thing up, and it looks like a softer shock spring is needed (@ 150lbs). I do have a 5.3 spring from my 08 yamaha.

Does anyone know if the 06-09 shock spring fit the 2010? Sorry if this has been answered - I did search, but came up empty.

Going to break it in this morning!!!

Edited by andy250, March 06, 2010 - 06:58 AM.
spelling...

• Phil Hannah

Posted March 06, 2010 - 07:15 AM

It wont fit. I believe it has the bigger shock body like the 09 crf and kxf 450s. If the length is correct one off the crf or kxf should fit. The 09 kxf 450 came with a 5.2-5.3 , and you probaly know the crf came with a 5.4-5.5. You could probaly find a used one easy enough. Factory connection probaly has a few used ones and that would be cheaper than buying new. They would also let you know for sure that it would fit. Good luck

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted March 06, 2010 - 07:47 AM

Yes the '09-'10 CRF & KX 450's fit. Diverse Mfg has new springs for $75 front or rear and we have had no problems with their springs

• fraser

Posted March 08, 2010 - 02:28 AM

The old spring definitely won't fit, I tried it.

• andy250

Posted March 08, 2010 - 08:06 AM

I've verified that the 09+ CRF450 spring does fit. I threw my stock crf spring in last night (5.5 I think), and adjusted race sag to 105mm. Static sag is still a bit much though at 50mm. Looks like I need to go down to a 5.3. Unfortunately my 5.3 spring went out the door with the red bike. :banana:

• Solid State

Posted March 08, 2010 - 04:21 PM

Wow. At 150 lbs the 5.3 was too stiff for crf anyway - unless you are quite fast and aggressive but even then it might have balance issues.

Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2010 - 04:55 PM

Wow. At 150 lbs the 5.3 was too stiff for crf anyway - unless you are quite fast and aggressive but even then it might have balance issues.

Good luck.

Apples to Oranges. Two different bikes, two different leverage ratios, two different rising rates. Remember the Yamaha is also slightly heavier.

• andy250

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:14 PM

Good luck.

Maybe it was a 5.1, I dunno. At this point it doesn't really matter. Someone else can try to figure that thing out...

Can anyone around 150lbs comment on suspension settings that worked for them? - on the 2010 yz that is. Seems like I need to go with around a 5.3kg rear, and leave the forks alone?

• BBrown626

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:22 PM

I'd put a few hours on it. I rode mine three times (about 6 hours?) before touching a clicker. It softens up a bit as it wears in. You may be very happy with the stock settings. I weigh 210 and found I needed stiffer settings. I went with the MXA settings and they work very well for me on the track.

Congrats on the new ride! How does it compare to your Honda or the '08?

• andy250

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:11 PM

You're definitely right. I really need to break it in more before making any major changes. My experience on 450s tells me that the shock spring is going to be stiff though.

It's hard to give a fair assesment of the new yz since I have only about an hour and a half on it, but I'll give it a try.

This bike seems to handle way better than the 09 crf, without any work. The one thing I really liked about the crf was it's ability to stick to an inside line. The yz seems even better there. But it can actually drift out wide if wanted. The crf wanted to just pivot/square up. I can't tell you how many times this put me on the ground... High speed stability on the crf was not good, this seems great so far with the new yz. Handling should get better as I get it dialed in for my weight and ability...

The motor on the yamaha is way better. You may have heard that the crf was like a 350. This is definitely accurate. The yz450 does seem to sign off on top but it's nowhere near as bad as the stock crf. Low/Mid on the yz is perfect for me. I'm not sure about all of the off idle snap/bark complaints. I think those that are complaining about it should spend a day riding a 250 2t...

The yz IS heavier than the crf and imo does feel like it in places. Mostly in slower sections. At speed and in the air, this is a draw.

The front tire (742FA) suuuucks baaaaad. It almost put me on the ground several times. This tire just lets loose without warning. Anyone want a free tire? Only used for one ride...

The rear brake also seems really touchy. Seems like very little modulation. I would imagine that this will get better with time? Some of this is probably user error, and getting used to the ergos on a new bike.

Reliability - I don't know about the yamaha yet, but the crf was terrible. On day 1/hour 1, my crank seal gave out allowing all of the engine oil to migrate to the tranny side. At hour 2 my auto-decompressor broke. I had 3 cams in my bike before 15 hours were on the meter. I had to fix a leaky water twice, the fuel filter once (inside the tank), and the (4 spring!) clutch twice. Oh, and fuel in the oil. Regularly I'd remove 100+ cc's more 'oil' than what I put in the engine side. I got rid of the bike before this resulted in any other reliability issues (think bottom end).

• Scrubba

Posted March 08, 2010 - 11:13 PM

You're definitely right. I really need to break it in more before making any major changes. My experience on 450s tells me that the shock spring is going to be stiff though.

It's hard to give a fair assesment of the new yz since I have only about an hour and a half on it, but I'll give it a try.

This bike seems to handle way better than the 09 crf, without any work. The one thing I really liked about the crf was it's ability to stick to an inside line. The yz seems even better there. But it can actually drift out wide if wanted. The crf wanted to just pivot/square up. I can't tell you how many times this put me on the ground... High speed stability on the crf was not good, this seems great so far with the new yz. Handling should get better as I get it dialed in for my weight and ability...

The motor on the yamaha is way better. You may have heard that the crf was like a 350. This is definitely accurate. The yz450 does seem to sign off on top but it's nowhere near as bad as the stock crf. Low/Mid on the yz is perfect for me. I'm not sure about all of the off idle snap/bark complaints. I think those that are complaining about it should spend a day riding a 250 2t...

The yz IS heavier than the crf and imo does feel like it in places. Mostly in slower sections. At speed and in the air, this is a draw.

The front tire (742FA) suuuucks baaaaad. It almost put me on the ground several times. This tire just lets loose without warning. Anyone want a free tire? Only used for one ride...

The rear brake also seems really touchy. Seems like very little modulation. I would imagine that this will get better with time? Some of this is probably user error, and getting used to the ergos on a new bike.

Reliability - I don't know about the yamaha yet, but the crf was terrible. On day 1/hour 1, my crank seal gave out allowing all of the engine oil to migrate to the tranny side. At hour 2 my auto-decompressor broke. I had 3 cams in my bike before 15 hours were on the meter. I had to fix a leaky water twice, the fuel filter once (inside the tank), and the (4 spring!) clutch twice. Oh, and fuel in the oil. Regularly I'd remove 100+ cc's more 'oil' than what I put in the engine side. I got rid of the bike before this resulted in any other reliability issues (think bottom end).

man, they just dont build em strong enough for ya!

• andy250

Posted March 09, 2010 - 06:54 AM

man, they just dont build em strong enough for ya!

Excuse me?

• Solid State

Posted March 10, 2010 - 12:08 PM

Apples to Oranges. Two different bikes, two different leverage ratios, two different rising rates. Remember the Yamaha is also slightly heavier.

Sorry - I was referring to the 5.3 spring the OP said was on the CRF that he was unhappy with. My observation was that at 150lbs that spring was likely two sizes too stiff (for a typical rider). Later in the thread he said it might have been a 5.1. He's really light for any 450 I would imagine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.