1995 440 EXC Piston

2 replies to this topic
  • kirtlandjamesgang

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

My 1995 440 EXC shelled the wrist pin bearing up the sides of the cylinder, across the top of the piston and down into the bottom end.

I do not know if it is even worth trying to rebuild. It has been impossible to locate a piston. Found a guy that will do the nikasil (spelling) for $175.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of failure and or know where I can get a piston?

Thank you in advance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KTMBlake

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

Do you visit KTMTalk's "Oldies but Goodies, big bore KTM's" forum?

Lots of knowledge there. I had a '94 440 EXC, I bought it with a fresh motor top to bottom. Not because it needed it, but the original owner just kept it in perfect shape. If there's a piston to be found, those guys will point you to it.
Those are usually bulletproof motors, one of the most reliable out there.

The 550 is the piston that's usually impossible to find. Isn't the 440 a 500 piston on a shorter stroke? I could see where that's not a common piston either though. If memory serves, there's a German website that has access to almost any part you'd need for these great engines.

• KTM-548cc

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

ill bet the rod is no good either. most likely its going to be a expensive fix. even in perfect running condition them bikes are only worth $1200 at the very most, usually less. might be better off selling for what ever you can get and cut your losses. depends if your determined to keep the bike or not.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.