125 or 250? (2-strokes)

8 replies to this topic
  • StUkAx

Posted March 05, 2010 - 08:58 PM

Well, I have a doubt in my mind...

I ride a 125 chinese dirtbike, and I want to buy a REAL bike.

I can only buy an old 2-strokes.
Here are the options.
95 cr 250 (like new)
9x cr 125
9x yz 125 (as a last option)

The 250 may be too powerfull, but I`m a sand fan, so the 125 will be noy enough for sand.

The question is... Will de 250 be too powerfull to "lear" motocross? I will use it as a trail bike too. I`m 17
I don´t want to buy a 125 and then a 250, I would like to buy one bike for a long time.

PS: Sorry if my English is bad
PS2: I want to avoid 97-99 Aluminium frames, but a newer is not in my posibilities.

Thanks!

Edited by StUkAx, March 06, 2010 - 11:43 AM.

• john01

Posted March 06, 2010 - 12:26 AM

Look I am 51 years old now and have had many many bikes over the years. My two current dirt bikes are a 08 Husky CR125 and a 09 Husky TXC 510. I mostly ride MX but do some trail riding for fun also. My 125 is my favorite all time bike. I can do anything with it including ride in the sand as we did this past weekend at Busco Beach in NC. I am no light weight at 200 lbs and the Husky has no problem pulling me around at a very quick pace. A friend has a 95 CR 250 Honda and had it at the MX track with us and he was turning in faster lap times on my 125 Husky. Of course the CR250 has more power everywhere but you can keep pace with the 125 and have a ball doing so. I hear some guys say "get a 250 you will get bored with a 125". I just don't happen to be one of them. Learn on a 125 and when you can master it WOT everywhere just keep on riding it's a blast. Good luck and don't worry about your English.

• minimotos95

Posted March 06, 2010 - 02:01 AM

125s are the funnest..... really light weight(my 94 KX is 207._ lb wet)......
im tired ill post more when im awake.....

• ktm 125

Posted March 06, 2010 - 06:26 AM

go with the 125 it has plenty of power. and people ride those bikes fo their whole life, so not to mention how lightand nimble they are!

• cr 250

Posted March 06, 2010 - 06:36 AM

if you don't want to upgrade and like to ride in sand go the for the 250 if its like new

go which is in good condition but if you really are going to be riding in the dunes a lot definitely go the 250

have you ever rode a bigger bike like a Cr 250 because they pack a punch especially if your coming from 125 Chinese bike, but if you be careful and ride responsibly for the first couple ride you'll be fine

what type of skill level do you rate yourself as

because if youre a beginner a 250 2 stroke aint the best bike to learn on

• cr 250

Posted March 06, 2010 - 06:36 AM

if you don't want to upgrade and like to ride in sand go the for the 250 if its like new

go which is in good condition but if you really are going to be riding in the dunes a lot definitely go the 250

have you ever rode a bigger bike like a Cr 250 because they pack a punch especially if your coming from 125 Chinese bike, but if you be careful and ride responsibly for the first couple ride you'll be fine

• StUkAx

Posted March 06, 2010 - 09:10 AM

Look I am 51 years old now and have had many many bikes over the years. My two current dirt bikes are a 08 Husky CR125 and a 09 Husky TXC 510. I mostly ride MX but do some trail riding for fun also. My 125 is my favorite all time bike. I can do anything with it including ride in the sand as we did this past weekend at Busco Beach in NC. I am no light weight at 200 lbs and the Husky has no problem pulling me around at a very quick pace. A friend has a 95 CR 250 Honda and had it at the MX track with us and he was turning in faster lap times on my 125 Husky. Of course the CR250 has more power everywhere but you can keep pace with the 125 and have a ball doing so. I hear some guys say "get a 250 you will get bored with a 125". I just don't happen to be one of them. Learn on a 125 and when you can master it WOT everywhere just keep on riding it's a blast. Good luck and don't worry about your English.

Thanks men, good point there.
I don´t really know what to do right now...

The 250 is like as new, it`s from a friend.
A 125 I would try to look at good one, thats not easy.

Well... I can´t rate my riding skill, I know that the 250 has a lot of power.
I`m used to ride in sand, once a year I went 15 days or so to the sand. It`s my favorite surface, here the sand is really soft.
But the rest of the year, I will use it in a mx track or trails...

I can´t decide:bonk:

Thanks to all for the opinions!

PS: If I buy a 125 I couldn´t bought paddled tires for the sand. Those tires are a mith here:smirk:

• minimotos95

Posted March 06, 2010 - 12:05 PM

whats the riding in Argentina, besides sand.... woods? fields? rock?

• StUkAx

Posted March 06, 2010 - 07:28 PM

whats the riding in Argentina, besides sand.... woods? fields? rock?

Well, here there are All kind of surfaces:smirk: but I need to travel at least 300km

Near me, there are diferent mx tracks, one enduro/trail and some fields.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My first bike... 01 Cr80 by dylancr80

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

KTM 500 EXC Gearing: need advice. by GRAYRAT

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  87 replies
Forums
Photo

03 RM 125 starts, but won't restart. by Kubalek

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   Suzuki 2-Stroke
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Legal WR426 Worth it? by supertaco

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.