Help with Death "Rattle"

12 replies to this topic
  • Davos

Posted March 04, 2010 - 09:33 PM

hey guys, i know these motors are loud and noisy. (08 yz450f)

But i am having an issue only when the bike is

1. warm
2. in the lower third of throttle
3. when the clutch is released.

valves are all in spec and torqued to spec.
Cam chain has no kinks and is tight.

It is entirely possible that I am just listening really hard to my engine, because the first day riding i don't hear it, and ripping hard i never hear it. (Example: from almost stalling if i give it full throttle i dont hear it, but if i slowly increase rpms there are about 300 rpms in the range that produce the sound.) and its really scary when climbing hills, nearly stalling, and having to coax the bike between rocks to hear the death rattle.

I honestly dont want to ride anymore because im scared of toasting my motor.

Oil is changed every 5 hours, air filter every time i ride. oh yeah and the old girl has 67 hours.

Does anyone have any ideas? could the clutch or a loose magneto make these sounds?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, David

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2010 - 09:45 PM

Probably rear chain slap, but the sound of it. Nothing to worry about.

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 04, 2010 - 10:38 PM

Probably rear chain slap, but the sound of it. Nothing to worry about.

im with gray. Its chain slap.

• jratcliffe3

Posted March 05, 2010 - 03:41 AM

Sounds like chain slap, may also be worth a listen to the thrust bearing on the clutch. Get a fairly big screwdriver with a plastic handle, start the bike and put the tip on the clutch casing, and put your ear against the end of the screwdriver. Then give the bike a little throttle and keep listening. This is a good way of pinpointing any engine noise if you know what to listen for.

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2010 - 07:44 AM

What thrust bearing?

• Davos

Posted March 05, 2010 - 09:27 AM

Ok, ill let it go then, i may go ahead and try the screwdriver on the clutch side of the motor. only problem is i never did this when the bike was new. so im not sure what is abnormal. And knowing these 450 singles, i might loose some hair listening close. They make noises all day that standard engines make when there about to explode or send a rod thru your fire wall.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2010 - 10:48 AM

The only thrust bearing in the whole engine is the one that lifts the pressure plate, and that one does nothing at idle. The engine typically has a slightly noisy cam drive train, and a lot of primary gear backlash, which will not be apparent at speed or under a load, but quite loud at idle. There is also a normal growling/rattling generated by the natural uneven idle speed of a single that disappears when the clutch is pulled in. Read:

http://www.thumperta...282#post5362282

One thing that does bear inspection if you believe the noise is abnormal or excessive is the nut holding the primary gear onto the end of the crank. Every once in a while, one will loosen and start rattling.

• Aka.Goose

Posted March 05, 2010 - 01:27 PM

After 67 hours, maybe the rings are going bad? Maybe a little piston slap going on?

• BlackT5

Posted March 05, 2010 - 01:50 PM

The chain slap noise scares the shit out of me. I was something I really had to get used to coming from 2 strokes. Especially chugging is in low speed technical stuff. I had not ridden in about 2 months and forgot how bad it could be. I find that keeping the chain tension dialed in lessens the amount of noise.

• Davos

Posted March 05, 2010 - 01:56 PM

If i check the rings i gotta take the cams and all that off, and pull the cyl head off and the like.

I got a question though, do i need a new head gasket? i see them for about 30 bucks, and thats steep just to check the rings. I mean if i am doing that, ill replace them while i am in there regardless.

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2010 - 02:28 PM

Yes, and a base gasket. And be sure you read, understand, and follow the head bolt torque procedure.

• Valkrider15

Posted March 05, 2010 - 02:32 PM

Yes, and a base gasket. And be sure you read, understand, and follow the head bolt torque procedure.

I'd even sugest re-reading, and having a friend read the head bolt torque procedure. Then read it again!! :thumbsup: Don't ask me how I know :ride:

• Nizzle

Posted March 05, 2010 - 05:05 PM

My bike had the same symptoms as yours. It wasn’t that loud and I could only hear the rattle off and on not all the time. So I tore the into my bike and found this… Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
It was caused by what gray was taking about...

One thing that does bear inspection if you believe the noise is abnormal or excessive is the nut holding the primary gear onto the end of the crank. Every once in a while, one will loosen and start rattling.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.