Washington

Mattawa Trail Maps

15 replies to this topic
  • pdiddy

Posted March 04, 2010 - 09:26 PM

So, for some reason I have never ridden at Mattawa, but then I saw the video posted in the Mattawa conditions thread from 2/13/10 and have an overwhelming urge to go ride! Usually ride Taenum in the summer/fall. But, I would LOVE to have a place to go in the winter/spring also. As soon as I get my bike put back together, I want to head to Mattawa.

So, any good trail maps out there? Anything I need to know about riding there?

Must............Ride...................KDX.................Soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

• MX813

Posted March 05, 2010 - 08:30 AM

When you get your bike together, post a date that you would like to ride/head over there. More than likely there is always a TTer heading over. I am sure they wouldn't mind showing you the area.

There are no printable maps that I am aware of although Hayshaker seems to have some websites showing boundaries that I can never find.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 05, 2010 - 09:51 AM

There are maps that can be purchased from the BLM. The maps do not have a trail system since Mattawa is open riding. Meaning there are no officially maintained trails. If your in the legal area you can ride anywhere you want unless otherwise posted. I have these maps somewhere in my truck or house but again they only assist in the boundaries of the ORV area.

• hayshaker

Posted March 05, 2010 - 12:51 PM

Lots of trails and rocks, stay in bounds and away from the sensitive areas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

TONY

• hayshaker

Posted March 05, 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hayshaker seems to have some websites showing boundaries that I can never find.

and not gonna tell :thumbsup:

TONY

• TJ 755

Posted March 05, 2010 - 01:46 PM

Posted Image

• hayshaker

Posted March 05, 2010 - 04:25 PM

Posted Image

FWI..

You are about a mile maybe two out of bounds to the East. There is also a new fence 1/4 mile East of the "park here".

• Chorbelt

Posted March 05, 2010 - 06:09 PM

I've been wanting to head over there also, I've always thought that there would be some fun riding. (my time at YTC was definitely not spent having this kind of fun).

Thanks for posting.

• Pincushion

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the maps!

Question for the Mattawa regulars....
A group of us were planning on camping and riding China Hat this weekend, but weather conditions aren't looking good there. Mattawa's weather is looking great though.

What are the legalities regarding camping and fires there? We'll have 3 RV's/Toy Haulers and a few tents. Anywhere we can set up camp and have a good time? Any permits or other issues I should know about? None of us have been there, so any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

• Slackkinhard

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:53 AM

I've camped there...No fires though.

• skyriver

Posted March 08, 2010 - 12:03 PM

Lots of trails and rocks, stay in bounds and away from the sensitive areas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

TONY

Hi Tony,
I feel like a tool now. It looks like I had my boys (the ones in the pics holding the cow's skull) outside the "OHV Open Area Boundary" when we went to that cow trough. I do notice that it is on BLM land though. So the question is even if on a trail/road you cannot ride outside the boundary? I know gray areas shouldn't always be defined. :banana:
I guess now I know where I'm going. The trail from the trough back to the main road is awesome. Looks like a good indicator of the eastern boundary is the triangular section of road just southeast of the good viewpoint on the east. Easy to see on the map now that I know where we were. It's very easy to stray east here. I didn't see any private property or closed signs anywhere over there, but did see the land owner's house in the distance and what looked like a fence running north-south. We avoided that.
Some guys at the view point had driven all the way from Idaho to ride Saddle, Moses Lake and Juniper. They didn't want to ride where they weren't supposed to so I told them we were close to the eastern boundary, but had no idea how close. Now I know!
Thanks,
Stacy

• hayshaker

Posted March 08, 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hi Tony,
I feel like a tool now. It looks like I had my boys (the ones in the pics holding the cow's skull) outside the "OHV Open Area Boundary" when we went to that cow trough. I do notice that it is on BLM land though. So the question is even if on a trail/road you cannot ride outside the boundary? I know gray areas shouldn't always be defined. :banana:
I guess now I know where I'm going. The trail from the trough back to the main road is awesome. Looks like a good indicator of the eastern boundary is the triangular section of road just southeast of the good viewpoint on the east. Easy to see on the map now that I know where we were. It's very easy to stray east here. I didn't see any private property or closed signs anywhere over there, but did see the land owner's house in the distance and what looked like a fence running north-south. We avoided that.
Some guys at the view point had driven all the way from Idaho to ride Saddle, Moses Lake and Juniper. They didn't want to ride where they weren't supposed to so I told them we were close to the eastern boundary, but had no idea how close. Now I know!
Thanks,
Stacy

The boundry is very close to the two steel water tanks in the washed out valley. There is a trail with Carsonite markers that follows this line. I'm pretty sure a 4 strand barbed wire fence will also mark it when it's finished. This battle has been going on for 30 years or more and has really gotten worse the last 5.

• mudhunter

Posted March 09, 2010 - 04:02 PM

there is a pokercross event next weekend in mattawa
check the "NMA" schedule for club and directions

"the Dirty face poker run"
Not that I endorce poker runs, but its on private land and would be a great
way to ride the area

• TJ 755

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:32 PM

there is a pokercross event next weekend in mattawa
check the "NMA" schedule for club and directions

"the Dirty face poker run"
Not that I endorce poker runs, but its on private land and would be a great
way to ride the area

not the same area but still pretty cool

• pdiddy

Posted March 24, 2010 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image

What is that on the east side that should be avoided?

• hayshaker

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:14 AM

What is that on the east side that should be avoided?

Private property

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.