05 wr 450 for dual sport

5 replies to this topic
  • betta

Posted March 04, 2010 - 02:43 PM

Need some info on a wr 450. I just sold a KLR 650 and am looking for something thats more FUN. First off I need it plated. I live I Pennsylvania so anyone from PA that has there's plated I'd like to hear from you. I was set on a KTM but some of the issues with 08 and newer engines make me nervous. Of course I'd like somehting reliable. I found an 05 with 300 miles for 3000. Much cheaper than a lot of KTM's I've seen. I'm not a real experienced rider in the dirt. Most of my riding will be dirt roads, fire roads, pipe lines and some single track. Very little hard road riding. Northcentral PA is pretty desolate and the dirt roads are tight and twisty so no long periods of the motor wound out on a hard road. I want to do more woods riding and the KLR just doesnt cut it. Does the WR have a real close ratio gearbox or is it a little more open? Maintnance and oil changes dont bother me. How long are you guys going before checking the valves? Any input would help.

• dazzabb

Posted March 04, 2010 - 04:32 PM

I think the WR will be a pretty good choice.

Just change the oil regularly (1000km then new Motul 300V for me) and check the air filter is clean every ride and you'll be right.

Initially I checked my valves every 1000km, but after requiring no adjustment for 4 checks I now check every 2000km. Best to err on the side of caution and check valves every 1000km.

On fire roads you might find the WR undergeared, but on my 05 450 I run a 13 / 50 sprocket combo and thats enough for an indicated 140 km/h on my TT speedo. It will pull higher gearing easily but 13/50 suits my needs perfectly.

I would have no worries at all about recommending the WR to you and after the KLR it will be heaven.

• gsa102

Posted March 04, 2010 - 06:15 PM

I recently picked up an 07 WR450F and I am gathering parts to plate mine. I think it will be a great setup. Keep us posted on what you get.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted March 05, 2010 - 05:53 AM

+1 ! couldn't have sit it better myself. :thumbsup:

I think the WR will be a pretty good choice.

Just change the oil regularly (1000km then new Motul 300V for me) and check the air filter is clean every ride and you'll be right.

Initially I checked my valves every 1000km, but after requiring no adjustment for 4 checks I now check every 2000km. Best to err on the side of caution and check valves every 1000km.

On fire roads you might find the WR undergeared, but on my 05 450 I run a 13 / 50 sprocket combo and thats enough for an indicated 140 km/h on my TT speedo. It will pull higher gearing easily but 13/50 suits my needs perfectly.

I would have no worries at all about recommending the WR to you and after the KLR it will be heaven.

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 05, 2010 - 07:17 AM

I put many thousands of dual sport miles on my '03WR. Never a hint of a problem. I finally replaced the valves but that was at over 15,000 miles and probably closer to 20,000. It was a rock solid reliable dual sport bike. I sold it to buy the KTM only because it was time for a change and the orange bike is one of the few that is actually legal to DS here in California. I bought an '07 because I didn't want to deal with the 08/09 problems KTM had with the new motor. My buddy has my WR now and it's still going strong. I kind of miss it!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 05, 2010 - 08:56 AM

I kind of miss it!

:thumbsup: It was only a matter of time!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.