oil changes

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 14, 2000 - 10:59 PM

How often should you change the oil in a yz400. How often should you change the rings in a yz400.

• mikeolichney

Posted December 14, 2000 - 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Yellow YZ400:
How often should you change the oil in a yz400. How often should you change the rings in a yz400.

I changed the oil and air filter every 3 hours (I do hare scrambles that are that long, so I kind of made that my interval). My 99 ran strong for over two years on this schedule, and I still was not considering changing the rings. I just sold it and it ran great.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 14, 2000 - 11:46 AM

Originally posted by mikeolichney:
I changed the oil and air filter every 3 hours (I do hare scrambles that are that long, so I kind of made that my interval). My 99 ran strong for over two years on this schedule, and I still was not considering changing the rings. I just sold it and it ran great.

What kind of oil should I use.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 14, 2000 - 01:00 PM

it depends on how hard you ride the bike if you trail ride your oil will last a lot longer than if your an expert racer same goes for rings try to best discribe your riding style do you ride hi rpms constant or just chuge around or is it inbetween i like the bel ray semi syn (exp 20w50) i never go more than two rides on the oil one on the filter i can keep up with amutures who race i just baught a big bore kit and when i took the top end off it looked new no scrachs on the cyl or piston

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted December 14, 2000 - 02:19 PM

Originally posted by yellow YZ400:
What kind of oil should I use.

You want to stay away from automotive oils with energy conserving friction modifiers. These will induce clutch slippage.

Since moto-specific oils are so expensive a lot of folks (me included) have gone to Mobil 1 fully synthetic automotive oil in 15-50. This product does not contain friction modifiers, may offer better protection than semi-synthetic Yamalube 4-R and is cheaper.

You should clean the oil filter with every change but you don’t need to replace it unless it has a hole in it.

As for the piston rings, I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone on this site is still on their original set.

• mikeolichney

Posted December 14, 2000 - 03:20 PM

Look on page 40 of Jan 01 Dirt Bike Magazine. There is an article on oil filters for four strokes. They talk about the stainless steel oil filter. I bought mine from Scotts and used it for two years on my 99, now it is in my 01. It still looks like new. I guess Thumper sells them too, for $70. Dirt Bike may be trying to make an advertiser happy (or maybe they have stock in the ss oil filter company) but the text reads "What happens if you don't replace a paper filter? If you take a used one apart, you won't find any clogs of big pieces of metal. That's because those pieces have cut through the paper and are still floating in your engine."

They may be blowing smoke, but it is cheap insurance. It is supposed to filter finer particles, too. I also run a magnetic drain plug (which will catch steel but not aluminum) and it is always covered with particles when I change the oil.

• Jason

Posted December 14, 2000 - 05:56 PM

I'm changing the filter on my "new" '99 400F for the first time, so I picked up a filter at the Yam. Shop. To my dismay, the one I got is a brass wire mesh. I was very disappointed. The guy at the counter didn't know his left from his right, so I didn't bother asking, but is this what comes stock with the YZFs? I would expect that a paper filter would do a much better job than some wire screen, and that's what I'm used to seing in other 4-strokes that I've owned. Any idea why Yamaha doesn't use paper?
At least now I understand why everyone reuses the stock filter, and I guess that's why everyone says to change oil every couple rides. I'm just disappointed. Any Idea what the DRZs and RFSs use? I know the KTM 520 has two, whatever they may be.

• Boit

Posted December 14, 2000 - 08:34 PM

Jason: No need to be disappointed. Actually, wire mesh makes a better filtering medium then paper, it simply depends upon the micron capability. Paper filters are prone to being torn if there is a pressure surge, or if the paper element has a weak spot. Scott's Performance makes an after market stainless filter that is a much finer micron than stock. Plus, you never replace this filter. Just take it out and clean it, reinstall, and you're good to go. The key to the YZ/WR is to change the oil very very often. Be a fanatic and you won't be diappointed.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.