2000 ktm 300 mxc / exc

21 replies to this topic
  • O3400ex

Posted March 04, 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hello! I have rode bikes for about a year and a half now, but I have ridden quads for the past 11-12 years. I have the opertunity to get a 2000 KTM 300 MXC or a 2000 KTM 300 EXC for about 1000 dollars each. My question, however, would this be too much bike for me to handle? I ride in very tight trails (parts are similar to deer trails) but there are also some more open areas and fields to ride. I had a YZ125 for about a year and I currently have a TT350 that I am looking to sell (big giant PIG). I am about 5 foot 9 and weight 240 lbs.

Also, what are some things I have to look at when looking at them?
(The EXC is from a KTM dealer, and the MXC is privately owned.)

• ktmfred300

Posted March 04, 2010 - 01:20 PM

You are looking at 10 year old dirt bikes so there could be a lot they are going to need. First when was the motor last rebuilt or topend but if they have some miles on them I would hope they had complete rebuild. Second the suspension when was it serviced as well as the bike bearings serviced or replaced. You could get a deal or you could buy a money pit. You need to know what you are looking at and ask questions but buying a bike that old could be trouble or if you can work on it yourself it could be a deal.

• O3400ex

Posted March 04, 2010 - 01:28 PM

you are looking at and ask questions but buying a bike that old could be trouble or if you can work on it yourself it could be a deal.

Yes, I am deffently able to work on it myself, I can rebuild the bottom end (with a manual handy) but I would prefer not to! :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any input on power or no?

• ktmfred300

Posted March 04, 2010 - 01:33 PM

A 300 has the most manageable power of any big bore 2-stroke it has been referred to many times as 3 stroke. You can adjust the power valve for different power delivery but jetting is key with a 300. I have owned many 300s including a 2000 they are a great bike.

• Hondaman24

Posted March 04, 2010 - 01:36 PM

What type of riding do you do? The EXC has a wide ratio trans , and lighting coil. Not sure about the MXC

• ktmfred300

Posted March 04, 2010 - 01:38 PM

The MXC has a simi close ratio trans but has the same stator as the EXC and suspension is stiffer on the MXC.

• O3400ex

Posted March 04, 2010 - 07:38 PM

But with me weighing 240lbs, the siffer suspension on the MXC may be better, correct?

• rtgincnm

Posted March 04, 2010 - 08:10 PM

I just re-built a 1999 300 EXC this winter. It has a lot of power, even at 5000 ASL. Mine has a rekluse auto clutch that seems pretty sweet for tight nasty trails. I'd say the EXC gears are far better for trails that the MXC but many won't agree. Really happy with the performance in the desert also, except long stretches of sand you have to ride up on the pipe too much and that bugs me.:thumbsup:

Hello! I have rode bikes for about a year and a half now, but I have ridden quads for the past 11-12 years. I have the opertunity to get a 2000 KTM 300 MXC or a 2000 KTM 300 EXC for about 1000 dollars each. My question, however, would this be too much bike for me to handle? I ride in very tight trails (parts are similar to deer trails) but there are also some more open areas and fields to ride. I had a YZ125 for about a year and I currently have a TT350 that I am looking to sell (big giant PIG). I am about 5 foot 9 and weight 240 lbs.

Also, what are some things I have to look at when looking at them?
(The EXC is from a KTM dealer, and the MXC is privately owned.)

• plepper

Posted March 05, 2010 - 05:19 AM

Define money pit please- I have a 2000 200 mxc I bought for 1400.00 I'll have about another grand into it replacing stuff so I'll have almost a new bike for under 2500.00 \. I know it is not a 2010 heck it's not a 2005 but I'm a trail rider and it works for me.

• NW_E-rider

Posted March 05, 2010 - 02:58 PM

For that price buy them both, try them both, then sell the one you like less.

• Mike in Fresno

Posted March 05, 2010 - 03:08 PM

for a bike that old it takes an experienced eye and luck to get the one with no problems.

The 300 is a great bike and at your size and exp level should work well. The susp is of no concern cuz you are so big that you will need to re=-spring it for your weight. So ask what springs are on the bikes. You will need 46 to 48 fronts and 9.2 on the rear.

• MARKS300MXC

Posted March 06, 2010 - 02:08 AM

I can only talk from my own experience. I have a 02 300 MXC and it is a bike like no other. It is the most powerful two stroke you can get your hands on that is still in production. It will test your riding ability to its max. You will experience power like no other. And for a 1000 bucks by all means get it!

Just a coulpe of notes:
Get the front forks look at immediately. That front WP suspension took me a while to get used to. Make sure their in good shape. It does get better the faster you go, which makes you go faster, smart huh..?

KTM two strokes are different than Japanese two strokes. I also have a 01 YZ 250 and they each have their own distinctive style.

Watch the power of the bike. I tell my friends the hardest part about riding this bike is hanging on, I really mean that.

But by all means enjoy the bike. It will teach you things, and you will become a better rider simply by riding this bike.

However, I caution this bike is not for the inexperienced rider, and make sure you wear your gear.

And have a blast!

• rgd498

Posted March 13, 2010 - 08:18 PM

I have a 2000 MXC 300,I bought last spring, if I would have known what a great bike it is, I would have bought one 2 years ago when I got back into riding.
There easy to work on and they last.

• MARKS300MXC

Posted March 14, 2010 - 01:58 AM

Just got back from Desert Center OHV Ca. Had an incredible experience. When I bought my 300MXC I paid 900 bucks for the bike, the guy wanted 1200 but when I flashed 900 in green he quickly agreed. Anyway, the bike came with a stater kit and a head light. Got to experience some night riding on the KTM. THAT WAS FUN!

• sbest

Posted March 14, 2010 - 03:01 AM

Didn't I just answer a similar post?

I have had a 125EXC for quite a few years now and picked up a 300EXC last Fall. My 300 is actually lighter than the 125 because it inot have all the road legal equiptment. Just bare bike. Even so, the 300 feels heavy and dangerous compared to the 125. The 125 seems to be very "spill resistant", handles mud and obstacles with ease. A slight upset on the 125 is easily recovered from.

The 300 has great gobs of torque, so you have to be very careful with the throttle. A little too much or too little can upset you or drag the rear tire. I find I am more tense and more restrained on the 300, whereas I I can ride the 125 flat out most of the time.

The 300 has lots of torque to get you up sandy hill climbs, but top speeds are about the same as my 125 surprisingly. If my 300 is sprocketed to attain speeds higher than 140kph I will start to loose low speed capability in 1st gear. It is can accelerate and wheelie like crazy at high speeds but for all intents and purposes has the same speed range as the 125EXC. The 125 and 200 bikes have the advantage of higher available RPMs and an extra gear which gives them over 130 kph top speeds while still geared for enduro. Any sized KTM EXC or "W" bike blow away motocross or close ratio geared bikes for top speed on the flat stretches due to the wide ratio top gear.

I actually have 2003 SX suspension on my 300EXC. It was supposed to be an improvement but I miss the soft EXC suspension. Getting over a log or rock is a hard smack instead of the "marshmellow" thump of the 125EXC. Even with my 200 lbs and the extra battery and gear on the 125EXC, the suspension doesn't bottom.

The 300 is a big handful of bike when ridden near full throttle and the power can bite you on occasion. I second the recommendation to always wear your gear. Even at 240 lbs I would suggest a 200EXC may be a better trail riding bike for a 15 year old with a years experience.

Be careful when buying anything used, little things can bite you bad.
Leaky shocks can eat up $200 if nothing is broken, $1000 if you didn't catch it in time.
Loose spokes may be over $200 per wheel to fix.
False neutral in the transmission could be over $800 to fix.
Clutch drags when in gear or slips under load is $200-$600 to repair.
Worn out sprockets and chain, over $120. Tires? Another $150-$250 with tubes.
Low compression? Just needs a ring he says? Over $500 if it needs a replate.

That said, there are good buys out there, especially if you can do your own work.

• DRZ125 rider

Posted March 14, 2010 - 06:22 AM

how do you start a thread?

• drooling piston

Posted March 15, 2010 - 12:04 PM

I think the 300 will be good for you. It is the same frame and fork angle as the 250 but has more power especially low in the rpms.
It has plenty of power to haul you arround and it is pretty forgiving on gear selection (you can lug it or rev it).
Some 200 riders will tell you the 300 has too much rotating mass and wants to push straight in corners. But I'm guessing (since you are fairly new to 2 wheels) you are not riding at a level to feel that affect (at least not yet).
I have a 300 and ride single track woods with it. I love mine!

• Chas_M

Posted March 15, 2010 - 04:20 PM

The 300 has lots of torque to get you up sandy hill climbs, but top speeds are about the same as my 125 surprisingly. If my 300 is sprocketed to attain speeds higher than 140kph I will start to loose low speed capability in 1st gear. It is can accelerate and wheelie like crazy at high speeds but for all intents and purposes has the same speed range as the 125EXC. The 125 and 200 bikes have the advantage of higher available RPMs and an extra gear which gives them over 130 kph top speeds while still geared for enduro. Any sized KTM EXC or "W" bike blow away motocross or close ratio geared bikes for top speed on the flat stretches due to the wide ratio top gear.

These are some of the reasons I would pick the 300 EXC with its more versatile wide ratio tranny. Who wants to get blown away by a 125 or 200?! Hopefully the EXC is in equal or better condition than the MXC and it is still available. I don't know whether it's better to buy through a dealer or not however I suspect it might, especially if you know the dealer.

• jbehunin

Posted March 17, 2010 - 05:03 PM

I just picked up a used 1999 KTM 300 MXC for 900 bucks. this bike was kept up pretty good. I tore it all the way down and rebuilt it. I had the rear shock and the forks rebuilt and resprung for my weight. This bike freaking rips. It starts easily and runs perfect. The only complaint I have with it is that you have to order everything! The local KTM shop rarely has anything in stock for it!!

• superslyko

Posted March 17, 2010 - 07:23 PM

I would buy either of those bikes in a heartbeat. :banana: Even completely trashed...... you could fix EVERYTHING for less than $1000.

A properly jetted 300 will walk a 250 or 200. I read all the time about this 250 or that 250 reving quicker than a 300. :lol:

No. I'm sorry. Set up is everything. It can pull like a mule and scream like a scalded cat. This bike is made for tight singletrack & through the woods. It's not a desert racer at WOT for long periods of time.

Get the right tool for the job.

I was racing in an Enduro and thought, hey that guy is too far ahead of me. Blip. I was bouncing off his back tire in an instant.

Boingers are HUGE. Get those done 1st. Then your motor. All the motor needs is a top end and jetting. THAT IS IT!

I've been riding again for 8 years and I still learn stuff when reading this. http://www.clarity.n...uying-bike.html

It's not a beginners bike. It will make you a better rider, but you must treat it with respect or it will bite you very hard.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.