06 ignition on an 09, anyone try it ?

49 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted March 14, 2010 - 09:17 PM

That sure would be nice, gathering up info on CDI's from 06-09 and seeing what kind of timing curve each one has.

I would think if you have an 08 or 09 then the 06 would be best but going from an 09 to an 08 would pretty much be the same thing.

Thanks for the info gunner I plan to buy an 06 box based on what you just posted.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2010 - 09:38 PM

That sure would be nice, gathering up info on CDI's from 06-09 and seeing what kind of timing curve each one has.

The '06 advance curve is the most aggressive of the years listed in the original post. Although each is apparently different (given that they have different part numbers), based on their performance, I have the feeling that you'll find the '07-'09 to be somewhat similar. One of those 3 may still suit you better than another though. There are cam timing differences between the '06, '07, and '08-'09 models also.

I'm not aware of whether the '03 -'05 units will physically or electronically interchange with the later ones, but the '03 -'04 have a very aggressive map. In fact those years are typically criticized as too aggressive. The '05 was remapped in order to address this, but is generally thought to be too "soft" as a result.

... it is not possible for added weight to increase power.

It is if the engine in question is built with minimal rotating mass, and is being operated at the lower end of its rpm range:

Condensed version:

• erickdj

Posted March 15, 2010 - 12:39 PM

Just got my 06 CDI delivered by UPS, it is the right part number (2s2-00). Can't wait to try it out. :banana::banana::lol::banana:

• fishkiller

Posted March 15, 2010 - 12:43 PM

Where did ya order it from?

• erickdj

Posted March 15, 2010 - 12:52 PM

Where did ya order it from?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2010 - 01:35 PM

Just got my 06 CDI delivered by UPS, it is the right part number (2s2-00). Can't wait to try it out. :banana::banana::lol::banana:

Yes, that's it.

• ReedRulz

Posted March 15, 2010 - 03:21 PM

I have a 2007 and was wondering if the 06 would make it better like on the newer ones?

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2010 - 03:29 PM

I have a feeling it will, but I won't know for sure until you try it. :banana:

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 16, 2010 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info GUNNER, looks like I got something else to try.:banana:

• erickdj

Posted March 20, 2010 - 06:35 PM

Well, I just had the opportunity to try the 06 CDI on my 08 yz450f. My initial reaction was :jawdrop:, followed by :):applause::lol::cheers::thumbsup:. The first thing I noticed is how much easier it breaks the rear tire loose, even moderate applications of throttle caused the tire to spin significantly more than with the stock CDI. It's noticeable how much harder it pulls, it pulls harder than before at lower RPM's. I went to try out a section of hillclimbs with deep hard-pack whoops, it climbed beautifully and effortlessly. From there, I went to ride some black diamond single track trails, with sections going up, down, and parts full of loose rocks, along with some areas that call for lower speed. The surprise there was how much grunt it had right off from idle, trails like that used to required some clutch action to keep the engine from stalling, but now there was NO clutch slippage necessary, the bike just kept chugging along with minimal throttle application. My jaw pretty much dropped by how much the engine could be lugged in the slow areas. I'd rate the combination of the 08 yz with the 06 CDI a 10/10.:thumbsup: It's the best $40 I've spent in a long time.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.